AuthorTopic: m3chanica1 g0d  (Read 9811 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Pyramid Head

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 10:12:47 pm
stwelin: the concave area has been noticed. in game he will be twice the size in a 260 by 224 resolution, and the platform that the character will be on will probably cover that part up, or atleast thats my excuse1
soup: thanks :D
akzinidez: pyramid head is not his name, and i think i will change the title to mechanical god. what does this pyramid head look like? ive never actually seen him before. i guess ill do a google search.
i really dont want to mess with the pallette, im very happy with it. although if its such a problem i will definitely be changing his disign up a bit.
halu: heh, thats just me trying to hide my poor knowledge of the muscularity of legs as best as i can :P

edit:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:24:28 pm by Ryumaru »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: m3chanica1 g0d

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 11:37:31 pm

If you do google him you'll see that you've emulated his design to a fault. If you want this to be yours, redesign time. Lose the 'pyramid' from, the 'head' and suddenly he's no longer 'pyramid head, of silent hill'. I'm sorry, I don't see any other way around this if you want to proclaim no ties to that game. It's just a very distinctive symbol to try to disassociate from the Silent Hill franchise. Just because you earnestly swear you've never played that game doesn't do anything towards this.

I like the colors and the red tint in darkness effect. What I don't like is wonky anatomy. I have a hard time accepting style over a good firm grasp of anatomy, since it always shows. What I mean is, you may not see it, but what you say is style, under it, indecisiveness about anatomy still shows, and not just on the legs. You do a lot of similar drawings, fixated on fore chests and arms, and this is hurting you. Start from the bottom up, join a life drawings class, buy an anatomy book and go through it all. You're learning by repetition and reproduction, locking yourself up into your own art, not by studying reality. You're not challenging yourself in anatomy, and you'll end up doing the same thing over and over again to the detriment of your art.

Your pixel skills are fine. Time to hit the books on anatomy proper.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Amon Design

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 11:44:16 pm
Actually it far more reminds me of a skinny Torquemada from the Nemesis The Warlock comic books than that bad guy from Silent Hill.  Pyramid Head's uh, pyramid helmet is actually way, way bigger (and I actually always found him to look pretty stupid to be honest).  Really liking how this is progressing.
keep on moving, lil dude...

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 12:02:35 am
helm: the only similarities i notice is a pyramid head. there body types are completely different, they play entirely different roles, and the basic ideas of each are severly unrelated. i cant really imagine him having anything other than a pyramid head because thats how it was when i first made him, without it he would just be a lanky, anthropomorphic being. i do agree that there will always be ties, but i just dont want to think that he was actually part of my reference.

i dont really have much to say about that, because thats true and i know it is. all i can say is, that anything anatomical that i repeat is from an instance where i saw a similair musculature, or similair shape on a real person. ill probably be asking for encyclopedia anatomica or whatever it is for christmas, but can you honestly say youve seen a 15 year old at a figure drawing class before?(i use my age as an excuse for nearly everything)

wolverine: thanks, although after seeing the other pyramid head just a couple minutes ago, i think he looks pretty badass. of course, when im not drawing mechanical gods im drawing muscular guys with swords, so i may be a little biased. :P

if you would like to see basically the entirity of my influence on the design for this guy, take a look at churis+
http://www.churist.neth.pl/
from the time i first saw his stuff, it imideatly influenced all of my work

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 12:20:54 am
I think the point that people are trying to make is that you have to realize - regardless of your intentions, influences, whatever - people are going to think that this is Pyramid Head. If you're okay with that, then just keep going. If you don't want people to confuse the two, then you need to drastically change the design. Nobody here is doubting your sources of inspiration, in any way, don't take it like that. You just have to realize how similar the two are, and how the majority of the people who see this will automatically assume that Pyramid Head was your direct influence.

When an audience sees your work, they're going to interpret it how they want to interpret it. It's your job as an artist to control the connotations, context, vernacular, aesthetic, etc of your work and make sure that the audience sees what you want them to see. You don't get to give a lengthy speech about your inspirations and intentions to someone every time they see one of your pieces - the work has to speak for itself.

So yeah. Decide whether or not you can live with the fact that the majority of the people who see this are going to assume that it's Pyramid Head. And then go from there.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 12:24:41 am

thats like saying it could be confused with this guy...

i google pyramid head and theres loads of diffrent things.  (this was just the funniest IMO).  theres lots of pyramid heads out there so i dont see why its such a big deal.

nice pallette and good job so far.  anatomy is probably quite off - but i think it looks good stylisticaly.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:26:14 am by Feron »

Offline Claredeth

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 01:19:01 am
Pretty great.

I love how you used the shading on the pyramid to its full advantage.
I can not give c+c really.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 01:49:58 am
Ditto, nothing but the name reminds me of Silent Hill in any way.  The just straight-up bent forearm is NOT working for me though!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 03:33:08 am
i smoothed that kink in it alot. is it still horrible?
update:
changing the angle should take away any actual resemblance to pyramid head. its lost alot of depth but meh.

and for comparison:
the infamous pyramid head!
http://static.flickr.com/19/100064007_c9852b4dd2_o.jpg
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 03:56:36 am by Ryumaru »

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 07:48:16 am
I prefer this latest revision, as it looks a lot more menacing and godlike the way the whole body sort of leads to the point at top. Not sure why.

The main problem I've got with it now is that the hands could definitely use some better anatomy. Right now they look very small compared to the rest of the body.