AuthorTopic: Work in Progress R.P.G Character  (Read 4122 times)

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Work in Progress R.P.G Character

on: December 17, 2006, 08:21:22 pm

Well I just started this guy about 5 minutes ago and would like to know if there's anything I can do to the lines, or possibly any pallete ideas. Thanks for your help.

Update?
Nother.
And Anata.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 10:36:46 pm by I Am Uh »
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Re: Work in Progress R.P.G Character

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 08:28:27 pm
Not bad, but put the legs together, he looks like he is about to trip, like he's skating on ice. Make his legs seem less like a whole circle, but I guess that comes when you actually fill in the colors.

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 09:00:16 pm
Better?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 09:02:31 pm by I Am Uh »
Evil prevails.
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 09:15:06 pm
They are still too far apart, put them together so it seems, to you, like it's a box with a line in the middle.

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 09:37:23 pm
I kinda like that look, I mean it makes him seem more muscular and has better posture.
Does it look alright with the finished colors on?

I would like other peoples opinions on the legs.
Evil prevails.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 10:07:06 pm
I don't think there's a problem with the legs as much as with the feet. He's very pigeon-toed. If i stood like that i'd have my feet splayed slightly outwards from my body, or at least straight ahead.

Good luck.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 02:14:18 am
Here's an edit I made to show some possible ways you could go with the sprite. I don't have time right now to list the ideas for improvement but I'll try to edit this a bit later.

9 Colors

*Edit*
Alright so let me point out some things. First off the feet, as mentioned before, looked pigeon toed. I think the main problem was that the feet came in closer to the middle than the legs. If anything the inside of the foot would only start on the inside of the leg if not a bit further outwards. The hair looks very weird and doesn't contour to his head at all. It looks like a bad toupee. Colorwise I don't think you're getting enough out of your colors and the whole piece looks a bit boring. Try some hue shifts in the color ramps.

I also shortened the legs by one pixel and made the top of the head one pixel higher so it would look slightly more top down.

I'd also say your grass might stand out a bit too much, at least with your current character colors. Fairly nice colors on the grass. Did you make those yourself or get them from somewhere? Reason I ask is because they show a nice hue shift from blue shadow to more yellow highlights. The character doesn't show this kind of hue shift just a basic color ramp.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:55:48 am by Delgneith »

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 06:21:40 am
 The update was better. I am very impressed by your work. Keep the grass low contrasted. This makes it look flat so it will appear natural to the player. Use color outlines for your interior lines instead of the black outlines. Make the highlights more yellow and shadows blueish (i.e. if you have an orange base color, it's highlight would be yellowish orange and it's shadow is reddish.) He lacks eyes, hmm...that's all I can for now. Hope to see your new update.

Cheers,

Andy

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 10:35:16 pm
The colors arent mine I got them from someone on the forum here. I dont know if he got them somewhere or not so... I tried taking your advice and I Gave him long hair too, and showed how it contrasts with both light and dark bg's. So what do you think about it know?
Evil prevails.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 09:07:23 am
You wont learn creating nice colours if you just use someone else's colours. You can look at them though, and try to make a colour youreself that matches it.