AuthorTopic: [WIP] Anatomy help  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Grey Knight

• View Profile

[WIP] Anatomy help

on: December 15, 2006, 12:27:21 am
This is some line art for a sprite I'm working on. Before I finish working on it, I want to make sure the anatomy/proportions are correct.

I think there is something wrong with the frame where he is facing up, but I don't know how to fix it.

If anyone can give me some tips/advice It would be great.

Grey Knight

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Anatomy help

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 01:16:27 am
What I would suggest is to make the shoulders in the one where he's facing south a little higher.

And as for the one where he's facing north, make his upper back portion wider. Also, I'm not sure if those are his feet or his calfs (the inner part), but they look kinda wonky to me.

Oh, and as for the front arm in both semi-sides, I'd say to line up the shoulder and the rest of the upper arm on the same line.

Other than all that, looking good. Nice perspective.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 04:57:13 am
His head is way too big.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:12:00 am
His head is way too big.
Off course, it's an rpg character. That's normal for such games. Look at Final Fantasy for instance.
It's done so it's facial features can be more defined, that would simply be impossible on a relativly
regular sized head.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 10:26:02 am
Off course, it's an rpg character. That's normal for such games. Look at Final Fantasy for instance.
It's done so it's facial features can be more defined, that would simply be impossible on a relativly
regular sized head.
He never said it's an RPG character, and he asked for anatomy help, so I imagine in this case the head really is too big since he seems to be wanting help with making it accurate. The head is a bit too big, but considering the perspective, not "way too" big. I'd personally shrink the shape of the head by a pixel or two all around.

North facing is looking a bit pigeon toed. I'd make his feet turn outward slightly, rather than what you've got now. The inner black lines representing the spine and shoulder blades are awkward simply because it's such a small sprite that black lines make them too harsh. I'd wait till the shading stages to worry about shoulder blades and wouldn't even bother with the line for the spine. I think the shoulder blade placement is a bit too low too.

Offline Grey Knight

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 06:31:37 pm
Sorry, I should have mentioned this in my first post.  The sprite is being viewed top-down at a 45 degree angle. Also, yes, it is an RPG character.

Here's the sprite with the changes that have been suggested so far:

You are right, it looks a lot better with the head smaller.

Grey Knight
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 08:50:13 pm by Grey Knight »

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 09:54:19 pm
On #s 1 and 3, connect the head with a neck. You did on the fourth and not on those, and it looks a little weird.