AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 151995 times)

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #380 on: January 05, 2007, 01:35:28 am
That movie is full of crap.  Seriously, if people have any murderous tendencies, its not like they were made by one video game having blood.  I mean, the whole thing about flight simulator is full of crap, because it's not like there's a religious war going on between small children in year 3.

Anyway, the main problem is desensitizing children to violence.  It doesn't make them more violent, it just makes them more used to it.  And anyway, if the parents are dumb enough to buy GTA for their 7 year old or whatever, it's there fault if there are repercussions.
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #381 on: January 05, 2007, 01:47:55 am
Stwelin, I tried not to generalise (thats why i said some religious people). I also don't think religion is bad, only people trying to make other people think like them that is evil.  

I think religion is a relevant factor, because people who go to church several times a week will turn out to vote (which isn't compulsory in America), whereas other people can't be stuffed. Also because they listen to their preachers they will probably vote the same. Thats why Politicians will listen to them and thats why they will be able to influence regulations. They are also more willing to donate money (which can fund campaigns etc.).  
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #382 on: January 05, 2007, 01:56:49 am
You have to take into consideration that a ridiculous amount of goverment-affiliated officials are christian.  you can't say the same wouldn't happen if our government were completely agnostic. i think it's that there is a huge difference between our gerneration and their generation.  They didn't have video games (or at least not of the same caliber) when they were kids, and i think that is the fact they feel that they are a threat.  Once our generation is running the government, i think there will be a different perspective on the whole thing.

Edit: and on a different note: i don't know about your personal experience in this matter, but the preachers i know don't share their political views at all.  I see just as many Bush Cheney '04 bumper stickers in the church parking lot as Kerry Edwards '04 stickers.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 01:59:50 am by Stwelin »

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #383 on: January 05, 2007, 02:10:55 am
It would be funny if they were to ban video games. Raids on LAN parties, nerds programming from secret cave locations...

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #384 on: January 05, 2007, 04:28:16 am
As I see it, religion itself is not a problem.  Extremist fundamentalist religion, where religion is adhered to over all common sense and other opinion, is a problem.  Like anything, religion is fine until it is taken too far to the extreme.  And yeah, that video is really stupid.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #385 on: January 05, 2007, 04:39:53 am
It would be funny if they were to ban video games. Raids on LAN parties, nerds programming from secret cave locations...

XD, cave story best game ever, yeah extremist do suck.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #386 on: January 05, 2007, 04:58:25 am
Religion's an argument never won.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #387 on: January 05, 2007, 06:44:10 am
I just realized there's some footage of Abe's Odyssey in there. WTF. Seriously. Watch it a few times more, and the distorted drums, strings, piano, and angelic aahs become downright comical.

"There's going to be a Columbine like incident--maybe by the factor of 10--down the road. Then there's going to be a human cry in the halls of congress and elsewhere to ban these games alltogether."

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

I won't even begin to comment on these, but it all comes down to fucktard parents not knowing jackshit about game ratings. Everytime I'm at a GameStop and a new GTA comes out, there's always some 13 year old kid who tries to dupe his grandmother into buying it. GameStop guys are required to warn about the drugs, sex, murder, and language. It's always a Kodak moment when the kid's scheme falls apart and he gets owned.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 06:46:53 am by pkmays »

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #388 on: January 05, 2007, 10:15:28 pm
My first written English word (I'm from Sweden) was a horribly misspelled FirePower (but phonetically, it was correct!), after the DOS game with the same name. I was 3-4 years old. It was my favorite game. After that came awesome titles such as Bio Menace, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom 2, and that went on to grow into Quake 2, Unreal Tournament (the first one), Max Payne, and onward to lovely things like Doom 3 and Resident Evil 4.

My father bought his first PC the same year I was born. I was raised by computers, almost literally. EGA colored the world and PC speaker beeps were my lullabies. So how has that affected me?

Well... I can only recall actually hurting someone willfully... three times in my entire life. One in self defence (it's not fun to get pushed up against a wall and get a clothes hook between your shoulder blades), the other two were entirely stupidity enduced. I hated having to do it, but apparently some people are too stupid to take threats seriously. I don't like when people piss me off for their own enjoyment! But other than those times, I have never felt the need to take out aggressions on another living being. And in bars around town, at least one drunken person seemed to get beat up every weekend...

The only bad thing I can say about video games is that they're distracting, sometimes addictive, and that too much of them CAN make you lose grip of reality. But so can movies, and even books. Earlier today I told myself to not read Douglas Adams book in bed after I wake up. Only before I go to sleep. Otherwise I get a really random way of phrasing things until after lunch...

Oh, also; Games taught me English. Did I mention I managed to write a four-syllable word in a foreign language at the age of 3 because of some old DOS game? Yep yep. Oh, the video's done loading now...

[edit] By the way... If the world does go terrible and half the population dies because of children becoming murder machines because of video games... You know what? I'm going to accept that as this universe's way of keeping humanity in check. Nature has an uncanny way of restoring balance, and I believe the human race has gone way too far lately. Something's going to happen soon, among the lines of all these terrorist attacks, hurricanes, tsunamis and catastrophic climate changes, but it'll be worse than anything yet. If that's a teenage armageddon, then so be it. I think this world needs it sooner or later. And it's nature's call. [/edit]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:21:27 pm by Rox »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #389 on: January 06, 2007, 03:05:14 am
I'm playing Zelda:The Twilight Princess for the GC...140hours, Zora dungeon...that underwater temple thing.
(I never quit playing it, even if I sleep I let my GC on, hence the 140 hourse :P)