AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 151930 times)

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #370 on: January 04, 2007, 09:09:35 am
Haha interesting read. I still have some 80's pc mags at home. It's painful looking at all these old models selling for over $2000 and such..
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #371 on: January 04, 2007, 04:11:39 pm
Mortal Kombat

I especially like the connection between flight simulators, 911, FPS games, and cop killing.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #372 on: January 04, 2007, 11:21:46 pm
it is pretty ridiculous. so the terrorists use flight simulators to train themselves to fly jets into the twin towers... "what happens when a 9 year old boy plays a first person shooter?"

Well, he's not going to go kill anyone, mainly because he doesn't have a thousand-year violent history of hate against any of his elementary school classmates.  The terrorists didn't play a flight simulator and then decide to attack America, they already had the notion of violence because of their history and ours.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #373 on: January 04, 2007, 11:44:05 pm
i think that thats the biggest load of shit ive seen in the past 12 months.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #374 on: January 05, 2007, 12:57:39 am
I hate when they say things like "just think how the terrorists used a video game to train to attack the world trade center" and try to make it seem like the video game convinced them to do it.  I agree that video games can potentially train somebody to be more proficient at things, say gun accuracy or driving ability, and there is a whole market of non-entertainment games out there to do just that, but I begin to be a skeptic when people start to say that video games manipulated somebody to go out on a killing spree.  Sure, a video game can convince one to do something, but so can books, movies and music.  I feel this whole video game thing is just a repeat of the violent rap fiasco during the nineties, which is reassuring to fellow gamers, because all it did for them was force them to slap a small emblem on their albums (which is a logo that is romanticized with giant posters and t-shirts, btw).  Essentially, I think it all boils down to lazy parents; with their busy lives, when would they ever have time to look after their kids?  And instead of taking time from work to teach their kids the difference between acceptable behavior and unruly violent behavior, they suddenly place all the blame on video games, and now it's supposed to be the game designer's fault for messed up children, for playing games they weren't even supposed to be playing in the first place?  I guess it's not for me to say, as I've only played violent video games my entire life, but I feel that the people who see video games as some amazing violent-child-maker are wrong.  I think that the people who so dedicatedly fight video games (Jack Thompson), should maybe take a look at some different sources.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #375 on: January 05, 2007, 01:03:00 am
I believe some religious people in America are really evil. They are super organised and have money and have political power. I saw
a documentary on a group that had one of their documents leaked that outlined their 'evil' plans. Which was like, step 1, create
confusion about evolution in media, step 2, keep saying we need to teach the controversy, step 3 ban evolution teachings. I think
its the same kind of thing going on here. They have an evil plan to get rid of violent computer games. Did you know at one stage that
the government paid tv producers to make episodes that had a "drugs are bad" theme. I wonder if all the shitty episodes on shows
like csi Miami where the bad guys are acting out crimes on the computer games have been paid to do so by the religious people. I bet
in 4 years time the only game for sale will be "the Sims - going to church" expansion pack.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #376 on: January 05, 2007, 01:12:12 am
I really fail to see the point in bringing religion into this whole ordeal.  Sure, there probably are people who support/fund TV shows on the condition that they make episodes with those sort of messages, but honestly, why do you think it's only religious people?

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #377 on: January 05, 2007, 01:18:37 am
I wonder if all the shitty episodes on shows like csi Miami where the bad guys are acting out crimes on the computer games have been paid to do so by the religious people.
Haha, I saw that episode. It was pretty hilarious, actually.
It would be funny if they were to ban video games. Raids on LAN parties, nerds programming from secret cave locations...

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #378 on: January 05, 2007, 01:19:18 am
Um ... didn't the movie mention violence from cain and able, and violence being vice? Sounds like a religiously produced documentary.
I guess you don't have to be religious to be opposed to violence in computer games.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #379 on: January 05, 2007, 01:26:03 am
Well, with such a large demographic of middle-aged american conservatives being religious, it's pretty much a given. I think that you're generalizing the religious demographic.  I, for one, am religious, as are a majority of my peers and family, and they have absolutely nothing in common with the type of people you described in your last post.

focus on something a little more relevent.  blame narrow-mindedness, blame their political views, blame their outlook on the terrorist attacks, but please, please don't blame the fact that they are religious.  You don't have to be affiliated with a religion to have morals (even if their morals are skewed.)

edit:
Haha, I saw that episode. It was pretty hilarious, actually.
It would be funny if they were to ban video games. Raids on LAN parties, nerds programming from secret cave locations...

This seems like a familiar scenario... have i heard this plot before?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 01:27:36 am by Stwelin »