AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 151859 times)

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #340 on: January 01, 2007, 01:29:52 am
I taught myself how to play guitar by teaching myself how to play songs that I liked. There's a huge feeling of reward when, after a week of practicing, you're finally able to play a part of the song without screwing up. Never took a class. But that's also the reason that I suck at playing guitar properly.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #341 on: January 01, 2007, 07:49:18 am
I play.....I don't think I'm very good....but basically, if you wanna become good: practice.  There's no easy way/shortcut to learn an art, you have to practice.  The time spent practicing directly equates to how good you'll be.

Damn, gotta get back to watching the metalocalypse marathon.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #342 on: January 01, 2007, 09:59:36 am
I taught myself how to play guitar by teaching myself how to play songs that I liked. There's a huge feeling of reward when, after a week of practicing, you're finally able to play a part of the song without screwing up. Never took a class. But that's also the reason that I suck at playing guitar properly.

Even properly trained guitarists should try to learn stuff by bands they like, prefferably by ear, so they may see how other people go about composing things. Even just for breaking out of the habits "your arms" have. I mean, every person learns to play in their own unique way and for the most part, if left on their own, they`ll develop some set hand positions they will very rarely break out from. Therefore, if you learn other people`s stuff sometimes they might not fit your own hand positions, and you will be made to venture in unknown territory. This is good. The goal is to have mastery over the complete fretboard, not just three scales at three positions.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #343 on: January 01, 2007, 12:46:06 pm
I had some nasty spyware program on my computer, got rid of it yay! One thing it seems to have done is change my date to 2100 AD,
and Windows media player refuses to open on this date. Don't know why. So I had an idea that 2100 AD is the planned 'judgement day', when that Microsoft clipit guy will become self aware and eliminate the human threat.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #344 on: January 01, 2007, 05:19:48 pm
We had snow in November where I live. Then it went away. Now I'm further north, where I used to live. We have April weather here. Foxes think it's spring, birds peck for leaf buds on trees, bears never went into hibernation. I don't dare imagine how the real spring will look.

It happens. We've got flowers springing to life right before winter. Farmers harvesting potatoes all year. I don't think it's unusual though. Things like this occur with a gap of a few years. For me at least.

I had some nasty spyware program on my computer, got rid of it yay! One thing it seems to have done is change my date to 2100 AD,
and Windows media player refuses to open on this date. Don't know why. So I had an idea that 2100 AD is the planned 'judgement day', when that Microsoft clipit guy will become self aware and eliminate the human threat.

The sellout makes him more evil.  :hehe:

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #345 on: January 01, 2007, 05:58:41 pm
That's genius. I seriously lol'ed there.

He doesn't look like he has much in the way of legs though.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #346 on: January 01, 2007, 10:58:59 pm

all the more evil no? seriously, wha is more evil than a floating, knife weilding Microsoft Paperclip? :crazy:
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #347 on: January 01, 2007, 11:10:35 pm

They're heavily foreshortened.

all the more evil no? seriously, wha is more evil than a floating, knife weilding Microsoft Paperclip? :crazy:

swing and a miss

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #348 on: January 01, 2007, 11:16:31 pm
(wow, I'm slow at replying)

Rox: actually I had no idea that Swedes were that into "retro-style things". I don't know anyone else from my town that is actually. But that could have something to do with the fact that I live in Umeĺ and that I studied natural and social science (natur- och samhällsvetenskapliga programmet) in high school, not some aesthete program. Only thing that comes close is a local band that I like, called KPIST. They do video game-inspired music. I never spent much time with other artsy kids (from here that is, I have some friends in Stockholm) or anyone really into my interests for that matter either. I guess you find more people with those interests if you live in the south.

snake: uhh... that's my fault for not checking PJ I guess. What's fun is that I have just been living with a Norwegian family for 7 months :D

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #349 on: January 01, 2007, 11:20:49 pm
(wow, I'm slow at replying)

Rox: actually I had no idea that Swedes were that into "retro-style things". I don't know anyone else from my town that is actually. But that could have something to do with the fact that I live in Umeĺ and that I studied natural and social science (natur- och samhällsvetenskapliga programmet) in high school, not some aesthete program. Only thing that comes close is a local band that I like, called KPIST. They do video game-inspired music. I never spent much time with other artsy kids (from here that is, I have some friends in Stockholm) or anyone really into my interests for that matter either. I guess you find more people with those interests if you live in the south.

There used to be tons of demo parties to go to here in Sweden, but they seem to die out one after one, to make room for more gamer lan's :(

I don't have many friends that are that into demos and other retro things, but the parties used to be packed with people