AuthorTopic: Megaman wannabe sprite  (Read 10714 times)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Megaman wannabe sprite

on: December 10, 2006, 12:05:42 am
 It was a long time I haven't done pixel art. This is just something I just did to amuse myself hehehe.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: Megaman wannabe sprite

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 02:46:57 am
I like the design, the suit is really cool.

just my two cents:
Give the guy a chin. [:P]
Break the black outline, make it a bit smoother - (Maybe add a dark blue and eliminate the black outline inside of the general sprite outline.)
Soften up the outline around the head.

You did a nice job giving the armour a metallic feel, it's nice.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 03:28:41 am
i agree what what swelin said about the black lines.
also, id suggest taking more time on details, because at the moment everything is very generalized.. kinda like blobs.. give him details, like fingers

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 04:11:48 am
 Thanks, I did an update.

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 05:33:40 pm
Looks a little pillow shaded-ish, especially on the arm and hair. Try to define a light source and stick to it, try to visualize where the light would hit it, where shadows would be cast, etc. Also don't be afraid to bleed your "outline color" into the shading a little for extra depth.

Completely off topic: Stwelin, I'm in love with your avatar.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 10:33:05 pm
 Ah, is that reversed anti-aliasing?

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 12:42:36 am
Ah, is that reversed anti-aliasing?

Not necessarily.  reversed anti-aliasing is when you use a medium between two colors on the inside to make a smoother appearance, rather than on the outside to give it a smoother outline.  And with a piece this small, anti-aliasing outside the subject would be pointless, mainly because it resembles a sprite, and sprites are on many different backgrounds, and therefore cannot be anti-aliased (effectively).

Pillow-shading is when the lightsource is undefined, or rather, right on top of (not in the sprite's perspective, but rather, from the players eye) the sprite.  This means that you have just taken the darkest shade and put it on the outline, and worked your way in gradually, putting the highlight in the middle of the object, rather than at a defined angle.

So, I don't really think you have any pillowshading going on here, but there isn't exactly one defined lightsource.  The light hitting the shoulders seems to be coming from the top right corner, while the light hitting the chest seems to be coming from the left.  Since the armour is metallic it is easy to pass it off as ambient light and not another lightsource altogether, meaning that the light coming from the top right has bounced off some object to the left and is now hitting the player at a different angle...

Ah, but now I am slightly rambling/overanalyzing.

@cave: thanks.  :y:

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 02:01:03 am
His face looks a bit to elongated and his eye is a bit odd also, just because of how long it is.
his head looks rather flat, and there doesn't appear to be a specific light source, like Stwelin said.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 07:57:32 am
 Thanks, I read st0ven's tutorial a long time ago on rev anti-aliasing and thought the bleeding was rev anti-aliasing. Now I see.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 10:15:54 am
What is this reverse antialiasing you speak of? Did someone invent some technique again?