AuthorTopic: [CC] + Tileset idea request for simplistic Space Taxi clone  (Read 1587 times)

MadByteDE

Hello everyone,

I'd like to get some feedback and inspriation for a game project I'm working on.
I'm a hobby game dev, mainly focused on programming tasks, but I usually try to draw some simple pixel art for my games myself.
I'm aiming for an futuristic / cartoon like style for the game, but I'm unsure how the tileset could look like.

Some more information about the classic game.
Base tile size is 16x16px.

Questions:
  • What do you think about the existing art in general? UI, sprites, animations ... (Tiles are placeholders)
  • What do you think should the tileset look like? Any specific style ideas, themes, patterns, lighting tips?  (Maybe you have some example art / screenshots)

Main Game Screen mock-up

First UI ideas for the in-game editor

Bird animation

Passenger waving

Passenger walking

If you're interested in helping me out with the art for the project,
feel free to contact me.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: [CC] + Tileset idea request for simplistic Space Taxi clone

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 08:43:37 pm
Hey MadByteDE!

Man this was one of my favorite games! Well kinda. I played a mac clone of it called space cab:

I think you're heading in a great direction so far.  Just a couple notes:
- I think you can get more creative with your taxi design.  it reads a lot like a normal car.
- I think it'd be cooler to embed the platforms into the environment design of each level rather than have a standard platform.  Just keeps things feeling more fresh and immersive
- the UI elements themselves are good, but they feel quite disjointed from the rest of the game.  I'm not really convinced you need a separate black bar for that content; you can probably float those elements on top of the gameplay area.  You might want to assume in your level design that a certain portion will be covered by UI to keep that area clear of important gameplay elements though
- Can't wait to see how you'll theme the environment tiles - it'll have a huge impact on the rest of the elements.

MadByteDE

Re: [CC] + Tileset idea request for simplistic Space Taxi clone

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 03:10:40 pm
Thanks for your feedback Indigo.

Man this was one of my favorite games! Well kinda. I played a mac clone of it called space cab:

I'm glad that there are ppl who know the game :) Haven't heard of that port through.

- I think you can get more creative with your taxi design.  it reads a lot like a normal car.
- I think it'd be cooler to embed the platforms into the environment design of each level rather than have a standard platform.  Just keeps things feeling more fresh and immersive

You're probably right with the taxi, I planned to have a couple taxis to choose from. I even thought about having customizable parts or some kind of upgrade system in the game, but this would be a bit to much for the game I think. I'll see what I can do to add some more variations.

- the UI elements themselves are good, but they feel quite disjointed from the rest of the game.  I'm not really convinced you need a separate black bar for that content; you can probably float those elements on top of the gameplay area.  You might want to assume in your level design that a certain portion will be covered by UI to keep that area clear of important gameplay elements though

The UI bar is something I wanted to keep because it's something almost every space taxi clone has in some form (examples below), so for me it is like a part of the game look and feel. But it's good to hear different opinions, I'll definitely do some more research here and try some things out.

- Can't wait to see how you'll theme the environment tiles - it'll have a huge impact on the rest of the elements.

I can't wait either, but atm I don't have much ideas on how to start with the tileset. I looked for some inspiration and found some interesting designs but I'm still not sure how I gonna have my on shot on these, maybe I'm missing the experience and talent to get something more complex like whole tilesets done.

Some examples of designs I like to draw some of my inspiration from (mostly color/mood wise):

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:14:04 pm by MadByteDE »