AuthorTopic: Mayan Statue  (Read 6406 times)

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Mayan Statue

on: December 06, 2006, 02:09:32 am
For the palette challenge, but I think its just a cool project. Here's lines:
Here's just that shaded:
And here's my current work:
Update(wow, I did better than I thought on the tree, but the dirt needs help):
I only used a ref for the statue, but this:http://www.myphotographs.net/honduras/honduras0163.jpg
I used the mayan ruins palette challenge palette except for black.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 04:05:24 am by Ego »

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Re: Mayan Statue

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 03:36:01 am

I'm pretty sure that's good. I'M very impresed with myself.

I sure HOPE I can do this bump/double post because I hav an update.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 09:21:27 am
I suggest you try adding some level of depth to the forground image too... it's very flat at the  moment with all the areas having the same level of rendering... try using less tones as you go into the distance...

oh... and the sun looks rubbish at that size... i suggest making it bigger... and remove those 'rays' (thats so primary school and incongruous to the rest of the piece)  if you increase the sun so that it fits behind the silhoetted structure then it'll make more sense...

I'm pretty sure that's good. I'M very impresed with myself.

??? I'm sure you are... but to be honest though ego (very apt username) :P - it's OK... the pixel placment skills are better than average - :y: but you need to refine how you shade... remember that you CAN remove the line art if you want... shade TO it or use the LINEART color as part of the shading tones...(which you've done in places)  or (and this is what I feel is what's majorly wrong) is that you should TONE the lineart... with the other colors in your pallette... finally... don't always shade up to the brightest color in your pallette... otherwise you lose depth... everything is flat...

:)

good luck

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 09:23:26 am by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 11:48:46 pm
I said I'm impressed with myself cuz I've never done anything better than this. This is currently my best piece.
The sun was a 20 second job and I thought it would work but I decided it didn't earlier today. It is rubbish. It doesn't even fit the lighting.
Its all pretty much at the same distance. There's nothing thats really farther than anything else except by a few inches. I'm deciding on a background, seeing as its ALL foreground right now.
I've thought about shading the lines and I just wanted to see feedback without it.
I'll see about removing some of the brightest in the slightly farther back areas.
And heck yes I have an ego(I'm working on that).
EDIT: Alright, I couldn't bring myself yet to completly dlete my highest shade.

I also decided on a nice BG color.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:01:55 am by Ego »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 07:21:01 am

Okay, what Baccaman said is absolutely right, it looks abit flat, which you should try and fix. My edit is just
an idea for composition. Its now a man on a cliff thats looking down at a Mayan temple. Maybe you could
add skulls somewhere because I think they were into human sacrifice.  :)
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 12:27:51 am
That's brilliant sharprm, I like the idea!
I'll try(but I've never made an ACTUAL human before.

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 01:14:14 am

Its ME! I'm starting up the temple in the back.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 02:51:46 am
The man is good especially for your first human. The head looks good but you should remove the purple stuff in the middle as it looks
like he has a big dent in his head. You should pay closer attention to anatomy such as the legs. (unless you deliberately are doing that)
Because of the way you've drawn the man it is best if you draw the temple from a different angle (in case u hadn't figured that out).

I hate that pallete so much. I found in the edit i was getting rid of detail you had put in (even though its good) in order to make it clearer what is what. Ever thought of doing a version with a new pallete? Also I imagined that its night and theres a big camp fire behind him to
explain the lighting.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 04:04:48 am
Thanks!

Yeah, the legs were intended like that. That actually looks like me, my guy. I wear pretty loose pants that don't allow people to really see my legs, just my pants. I also didn't want much detail on the person. What I DID like a lot was the horizontal flip, and on the earlier edit, dark leaves covering the top. I also added 2 vines hanging down. The dent thing I fixed. Also, I don't really like the concept of the skulls there, and I just don't think the bird fits. The perspective of the temple looks really nice with the guy though.
I can't seem to get the lines of the temple right!

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 04:48:12 am
I like the leaves and vines. When I looked at your version again I could see how it was pants and that he was holding a hat. But maybe
you need a dark line between the shirt and pants - shadow or a belt or something. If you are having trouble with the temple lines, maybe look at the topic on 'a grave without zombies'. It had an example of setting up to focus points and doing correct perspective lines.  If that
doesn't work do a pretty sunset or something instead for the backdrop.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 07:54:45 am
Unique style. Quite intruiging. Nice choice of colors too.

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 09:04:05 pm

Thanks Ryona(colors are the palette challenge's though)
I decided to do the temple. It came out all right, i used black(the last color in the palett from the challenge0 for the sky, and added stars. I added the shadow from the shirt, and while you can't see it, there's a campfire behind me.
"Those creepy ruins, abandoned for centuries. But what's going on with the fire up top? There's someone else at these ruins, and I'M gonna find them!"