AuthorTopic: 3 coloured Explosions  (Read 9836 times)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: 3 coloured Explosions

Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 09:51:32 pm
Thanks.
I'm happy with the medium size explosion as it is now.
I've put it into the game and it looks fine if played at 20 fps.
Time for the really huge 128*128 explosion.

Considering the game itself:

I won't colour each object type sepperately since that would destroy the gameboy-ish look I was going for.
But I agree with you on the part that it is sometimes hard to make enemy projectiles out (especially on the crystal background... boy I need to redo that).
I'm not quite sure what you meant by cluttered your description was kind of... wild with you summing up what the colour white and gray were being used for.
Maybee you eyes just need to get used to the unusual lack of colours ;)
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 03:24:34 am
maybe different things could have one interchangable hue? just one light pallette entry, just a tint would do great for seperation.
although i sucked ass at that game( wasnt trying) it was very fun. some of the sprites could definitely be improved, but atm there on a " this is game art, i cant make everything perfect" level.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 01:46:06 pm
Heh, no, it's not my eyes. On one background, the spreadshot type projectile just barely shows. On another type of background, the claw-shaped enemy projectiles barely show. I mean, a single one would be obvious, but when there are ten enemies and twenty projectiles and fifteen explosions constantly on the screen, telling which is which gets difficult.

But, like I said, I'm not going to tell you to change any of that. You went for a theme, and now you have it, and it looks good. It just isn't the best color scheme for such a frantic shooter. I have more complaints also, but those are purely gameplay related and have been around since Gradius, so I'm not even gonna got here...

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 04:31:31 pm
The explosions themselves seem to fit perfectly into the game, but individually they lack something. I downloaded the game and I must say it is very very very fun.  :y:
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 01:14:19 pm
@Ryumaru: Heh yeah some sprites could definately be improved.
In fact that's what I am working on. Most graphics look different now.

@Rox: Yeah like I already stated: some tiles need work.
And to avoid that an enemy shot isn't seen they get a white outline to stick out more.

@Delphinus: Thanks.

The huge ass explosion is finally done.
this one took even longer than the medium sized one because it needed 10 more frames.
My hand hurts now. :P
Anyways here it is:

What do you think?
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Relvox

• View Profile
    • My Deviant Art (Mainly Poems)

Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 01:28:40 pm
Looks really neat :)
I've given the game a quick try, got to 50%. It's funny :P

Anyway, maybe it could be a good idea to have the smoke dissipate outwords and not inwards (like in the prev 2 explosions). It looks a bit like an implosion or some implosion following the explosion.

Just my opinion.

Have a nice day ^^
Crimson flames inside me burning,
Secret voices scream in pain.
Little spiders softly crawling
In my though forsaken brain.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 01:43:49 pm
I like it, it's very smooth.
But my problem with this one is that t disolves imeadiatly.
It doesn't blow. It looks more like an implosion then an explosion. It should be small at start, become bigger really fast,
and then disolve.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 06:11:12 pm
What's that little jiggly thing it does? Looks like jello.
I like your palette.  :P
But yeah, it does look wierd the way it implodes like that. The midsize one is fantastic, but the biggest one...It looks good, just not like an explosion. The smoke is billowing outwards, but then looks like it's getting sucked into some black hole hidden from view.
Really good stuff, though.  :y:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 06:54:24 pm by Xion Night »

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 06:13:02 pm
Wow. I'm actually envious now. I didn't think one could manage such a full, volume... volumeous... explosion, with that few colors. It's seriously brilliant. I think the shinking smoke looks good the way it is. It looks like it curls into itself in a very realistic manner. The three frames where it just barely changes size at the peak of the explosion looks a little weird, but I don't care if boss explosions look weird in games like that. Because they always do. I bet it'll fit, at least.

Hmm... you could even claim the smoke does get sucked back into the center of the explosion because of the vacuum that no doubt follows an intense blast like that. Or something.

In any case, I love that. You'll tell us when a new version of the game is out, right? I wanna see the result of blowing up a boss with the new explosions... and also get past the stupid desert boss, if I can bother...

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 08:48:29 pm
What I', seeing with these explosions looks more like a kaleidoscope after the initial blast. That's okay for the earlier stages, but I think it should move faster/differently once almost all of the greys are gone. I personally like the first explosion the most, though it does need some reworking to smoothen it, the wispiness of the smoke blowing away is so fun to watch.