AuthorTopic: 3 coloured Explosions  (Read 9835 times)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

3 coloured Explosions

on: December 05, 2006, 05:53:06 pm
This is my try at explosions.
They have only 3 colours because The top down shooter I'm making only has a pallette of 3 *changeable* colours so don't complain about them. (actually the gray is a midtone between the 2 main colours)

Here's the only explosion that was in the game until now:

Here's a larger one that took me ages to make:

And here's the largest one which took me forever to make:

Comments & crits would be nice :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:15:39 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: 3 coloured Explosions

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 01:34:14 am
looks great, not too clued up on explosions as I haven't worked on animating one myself ever so you probably would be better gettin critique from someone who know a bit more than myself.. but my opinions are that the first one looks a bit too quick to see and doesn't really say 'explosion' imo, maybe your intentions were that it was to be a quick, small, flash explosion..? The second is very nice and looks more like the generic explosion you would imagine (in game circumstances) and with some more tweaks could look even better potentially, I think you've done really well for 3 colours ('shades').. I also admire your comitment towards making a game, I always fall over at the first hurdle.  :-[
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 04:52:39 am
It need some more power to it.
Right now the explosion just sizzles out.
I didn't see much explosion here, more the smoke of the explosion.

Your explosion doesn't have a sense of energy to it.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:22:37 am
It need some more power to it.
Right now the explosion just sizzles out.
I didn't see much explosion here, more the smoke of the explosion.

Your explosion doesn't have a sense of energy to it.
Might be so, but if you'd play the game, you'd notice it's very fast paced. And I don't think heavy explosions would fir into it.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 01:08:00 pm
They don't need to be heavy to pack a punch. In fact, they should be shorter and snappier, I believe. Right now, they just grow out smoothly, translate into smoke and swirl away beautifully. I'm mostly referring to the bigger one. It should grow to full size MUCH quicker. Depending on the physical size of the explosion relative to other objects, maybe over one or two frames. It having outlines also look weird to me, but it might fit the game's overall style. Still, I'd like to see it go BANG with a white flash, really quick in the beginning. Maybe try one of them superquick black frames to kick it off like in Jad's here. I guess I should try the game now...

[edit]
Well, that was kinda fun. And I do believe my idea would fit in the game. Everytime I've made small, incomplete shooters in The Games Factory, I've always used a placeholder explosion that was just four frames. A white circle that started out big, then shrunk gradually to about 50% size over the four frames. Even that looks great. So, kick that big one off in the same style, a sudden bright flash, and I think it'll look fine.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 01:46:32 pm by Rox »

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 02:00:08 pm
@Terley:
Thanks.
The first one is the small 'standard' explosion.
The current version of the game has nothing more than this one and it's used for pretty much everything (as long as it explodes of course ;)).
Now after discovering Dodonpachi lately, I found that my game could use those 'explosion strings' that are created if you destroy
a boss or something big and that is basically what the second explosion is meant for.

@ Souly:
Needs more power?
Power sounds good but how could I power the explosion up?

@Shadow Wolf:
The game is called Hyperwars for a reason.
I want the heaviest, huge ass 3 coloured explosions the world has ever seen in it. :D
Right now it's a bit lacking on that subject.

@Rox:
The big explosion needs exactly 2 frames to grow to its maximum size, how should I quicken that?
Basically I was going for a long, smooth 'generic' explosion and in the game, everything has outlines so explosions need that too. :)
Considering the physical size of the explosion: It's big enough to completely cover most standard enemys so it's a medium sized explosion.

I don't know what to think of those black-white flashing circles at the beginning of an explosion everyone here seems to love.
I have never actually seen that in an actual game except metal slug and I honestly didn't find that too good looking there. It just looks strange and 'unnatural'.
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 03:04:44 pm
It is big enough to take its time, yeah, but it also loses impact. Try removing the second frame and replacing the first with a larger, completely white flash and see how it looks. I'm not sure, myself, that's why I want to see it.

[edit]

Wait, actually, that's a bad idea. Either replace the first frame with a bright, big ball of white, or remove... the second frame. Don't do both.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 03:09:10 pm by Rox »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 06:34:03 pm
You need a sort of rapid expansion for about 2 frames.
A small charge frame, and then the explosion frame.
Which then goes to the smoke cloud.

Hard to explain it.
Obviously my explosion animation isn't the greatest.
But it's the only way I can try and show you what I mean.

Notice the charge and then the rapid explosion?

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 07:26:18 pm
Heh all your examples (Souly, Jad) are sideview explosions and mine is top down but I think I get what you mean.
So in the first three frames the explosion should develop like this: small, huge, less huge and after that fade to smoke.
I think I will also get rid of the spiky look of the explosion frame since it doesn't really fit well.

Well well off I go.

edit: done.

->

I have also brightened frame 3 and 4 to make it look like the explosion kind of cools down (-> becomes darker).
What d you think?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 08:01:14 pm by 9_6 »
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 08:47:55 pm
That's quite a lot nicer. Much more energetic. It also conveys a sense of shape better this way. It looks sort of like a horizontal shockwave in the beginning followed by a small mushroom cloud that rises toward the camera before dissepating. I don't know about the outlines, though. I played the game again, and later on it gets painfully cluttered, with white explosions with grey outlines, on a white ground with grey details, and white projectiles with grey outlines... I'm not sure about the art direction in the game in general, but I'll try to not complain much about that when the theme is already set... Just saying, the game is designed to be cluttered and energetic and explodey, but the 2bit palette does a terrible job at seperating one object from another. If each object type had a different color (blue player, red enemies, green projectile, yellow explosions), it'd be a lot easier to play than it is now.

Okay, I'm done complaining now. Also, it doesn't matter that our examples are sideview, since the timing is what we were trying to explain.