AuthorTopic: [WIP] House interior, door problem  (Read 6823 times)

Offline startselect

• startselect__
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] House interior, door problem

Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 05:52:54 am
Did a quick update of the stone parts, and I think they look less stiff now. I tried a few color variations as they seem quite gray now compared to the wooden parts of the walls but they all looked horribe so I skipped it. Most of the stone parts of the walls will be covered by furniture anyway :)

Offline startselect

• startselect__
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 08:44:23 am
Started updating the wooden furniture. I think it looks much better but any C&C is welcome!

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 02:16:08 pm
I recommend showing it in context, even if just by sticking the whole spritesheet on top of your mock-up. It's hard to tell whether the colours and textures work out of context.

Are the cabinets going to be arranged out of tiles, or are they sprites? If they're sprites, then you might as well give them unique textures instead of copy+pasting.

I think the lightest colours on the cabinet contents and handles could be made darker, so that they don't stand out as important/interactive items like they currently do.

The books(?) and apple-basket in the shelves on the left don't follow the same perspective as everything else, we should be seeing the tops of them (and those tops should be partially blocked by the shelf above).

Are the white glasses in the 2nd cabinet from the right meant to be bright white? For contrast's sake, I think a colour more like the plates or even darker would be better. If they're meant to be glass, don't forget that glass is transparent, so they should be mostly made up of the surrounding wood colours, but with some highlights showing their shape.

Good idea to make the table boards vertical, so that they stand out better against the horizontally oriented boards on the floor!

The light in the scene seems to be coming from above, so you probably don't need highlights on the table legs, since they'd be in shadow.

Are the drop shadows going to be on these sprites, or added separately?

Offline startselect

• startselect__
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 06:23:57 am
As always thank you so much!
I tried adressing all points, couldn't make the apple basket work so it had to go though.
- Gave everything a unique texture, I have 79 pieces of furniture so I was cutting some corners when I really shouldn't.
- Lowered the highest colors on content and handles.
- New books with correct perspective, hade to make them 3px wide though.
- Tried my hand at transparent glass for the first time. Looks more like glass than before but could probably be improved more.
- Removed the highlight on the table legs.
- Added a 50% alpha purple shadow under the tables (in the sprites). I work in Pyxeledit since I do a lot of tilesets and it's not great at alpha so I usually leave it until the end.

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 03:00:51 pm
You could get away with 2px books if they're all next to each other, since the covers would all stack up and form a pattern of dark-light-dark-light-dark :]

I still think the shelf contents grab too much attention and should have lower contrast if they're meant to just be unimportant background elements.

The purple shadows for the tables have a few problems:
1. The table legs look like they should be set in, but they're so much brighter than the shadow that they're apparently unaffected by it, even though they should be. In addition, because they're set in, the bottoms of the legs should also be in shadow if the shadow is cast directly downwards.
2. The shadows on the vertical tables line up with the board edges. This would be easily fixed by the same fix as #1 - extending the shadows downward a few pixels.
3. The most important one: the purple colour feels out of place because everything else in the scene has much weaker hue-shifting towards purple, and many objects don't hue-shift that way at all. Either the shadow should be browner/greyer (boring!), or you should adjust the baked shadows to have a similar degree of hue-shifting.

Offline startselect

• startselect__
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 05:13:14 am
Took a while to update all furniture.
I darkened all furniture legs set in shadow and lowered all shadows 2px.
I went with the boring gray shadows, I can't imagine myself succeeding with changing all colors so the ramps all go toward purple shade. This is already the nicest tile/sprite-set I have and at some point I have to move on to the next thing so this is my final update on this unless someone points out something obvious/simple to change.
I just again want to say thank you @eishiya, your help has been invaluable!
So here it is, probably the final mockup. I'm going to start writing a generator using this tileset and these sprites now!

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 02:57:45 pm
It's looking good! I'm going to reiterate my critique about some of the shelf contents: they still feel too high-contrast, mostly because of the golden bits on the books.

Here's an edit where I changed the gold lines on the books to be the next lightest brown rather than the bright wood highlight colour, and I made some very simple colour tweaks towards purple:

I say "simple" despite the extensive change because I used Photoshop trickery to achieve it, and only hand-edited 4-ish of the colours.
1. Select all the shadows so that darkest colours are most selected and the lighter colours are less selected (i.e. not a binary selection). In PS, I used Select -> Select Range -> Shadows, but there are several ways to achieve this, and it can be done in other programs too.
2. Fill that selection with your desired shadow-shift colour on a new layer. In this case, that was purple. Set the layer to Hue or Color mode (whichever you prefer; I used Hue in this case). This makes all your shadows progressively purpler.
3. Set the opacity to taste, probably pretty low.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the highlights, using the opposing colour (I used yellow). The opacity might need to be different; I used a higher opacity for this one than for the purple.
After that, I manually tweaked the greys on the fireplace and the wastebasket/boiler (the latter two use the same colours), mostly since greys aren't affected much by Hue blending, which doesn't change saturation. I replaced the darkest greys with various purple-browns from the wood. I also tweaked one of the mid-browns on the wood because there was too sharp of a jump between warm brown and purple-brown, so I tweaked its hue to be a little more purple.