AuthorTopic: New to pixel art, looking for feedback  (Read 1790 times)

Offline DictatorKitten

• View Profile

New to pixel art, looking for feedback

on: June 28, 2018, 07:08:03 pm
Hello! This is my first post and I'm super glad to be on the forum. I've recently become interested in pixel art. Here's my first picture!

I was struggling with a lot of little things throughout the piece, but especially I want to know how I can make her staff better. It looks very plastic to me, but because it's so thin, I'm not sure how to fix it. I also was having a bit of trouble with the highlights on her buns, and the buns in general look too smooth to me. If there's anything that pops out as incorrect, mention that too, obviously, but those were the points I had the most trouble with.

Offline RandomMonkey

• View Profile

Re: New to pixel art, looking for feedback

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 12:23:04 pm
I'm a beginner to but I liked the character and had to do a quick paintover.

I changed the character outline to a warmer slightly lighter colour. Just a personal preference. Toned down the highlights to something a bit more natural. Also brought in a colour between the darkest skin tone and outline to soften some of the internal lines.
Overall the structure is already quite solid but I tightened up the anatomy aground the chest and evened up some of the shading around the stomach.
Biggest changes were around the face. The individual pixels for the eyelashes were bothering me, as was the mouth. Just brought in some solar from the bikini to soften things up. Oddly enough the staff is one thing I didn't really touch.

Offline DictatorKitten

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:18:31 pm

I liked the warmer color a lot better for the outlines, good call! I toned down the highlights like you said, and I tightened the bikini top, and changed her eyes, albeit not exactly as pictured.
     This is where I deviated from your advice a bit more, because I wasn't too sure about the use of the color between the skin tone and the outline, and I instead used that color to define some of the areas where skin touches skin to make it look less confusing around the fingers and chest and add a bit of color to her thighs. I did something similar up around the hair. I didn't give her lipstick and I changed her eyebrows a bit too.
     As for changes outside of what you had suggested, I also shifted the whites towards yellow and tried to make them less intense to match the warmer outline as well.

I deviated more on gut feeling, but if you think I should have stuck more to the image you sent, just say so.

Offline RandomMonkey

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:04:31 pm
Looking good. Just bringing the highlights down has done wonders for the piece. Happy you found my comments useful.

Offline DictatorKitten

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 09:33:39 pm
Thank you so much for the help  :)