AuthorTopic: Mock-up/Sprites for TB RPG  (Read 11578 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Mock-up/Sprites for TB RPG

Reply #20 on: December 02, 2006, 11:59:01 am
But the point is, that I made it look bleached, so the monsters would "pop out" more. Otherwise, like earlier comments state,
the monsters and the chracter would blend in with the background, making harder to see.

I don't think that's justification. Nearly all games have to do the same thing, and that is to make the sprites pop out more, and bleaching the colours isn't the way to go.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 12:00:12 pm
I don't think that's justification. Nearly all games have to do the same thing, and that is to make the sprites pop out more, and bleaching the colours isn't the way to go.
Well, as you can see I gav it higher saturation in the last update anyways ;)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 12:07:36 pm

:y:

i'd also like to see a couple more grass tiles to break up the monotony.  also a dirt tile would look quite nice underneath the monsters.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #23 on: December 02, 2006, 12:35:54 pm
Dirt tile eh? Suggestion accepted...proccesing......

Edit: I think I'm done with it now, I'm happy with how it looks. Posted it at Pixel Joint, so go there and fav it! :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 12:53:45 pm by Shadow Wolf »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 02, 2006, 12:54:52 pm
Well, as you can see I gav it higher saturation in the last update anyways ;)

I saw, but I was gone for a bit, but didn't want to just ignore the point you said. So even though you made the change I still felt the need to reply.

Anyways, looks great now. Though those two, what look like indents in the side of the trees, bug me for some reason.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 12:57:56 pm by Dusty »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 02, 2006, 03:50:13 pm
Personally, i think it looks very white-washed, but i think you've gotten that impression from all the people commenting on the desaturation.

Here are my suggestions:
1.) use a color other than green for the shadows (of the trees), maybe purple.
2.) the top (3) water tiles. put dirt between where the waterline is and the grass starts (to give the allusion that the water is lower than the other tiles, like you did with the ledges), so it doesn't look like a puddle.
3.) use a different color for the menu. all the muted greens make it really mono-tone. (you want the game to POP. :P)
4.) on the tiles where the grass meets the dirt, add a darker green on the *bottom* of the little wisps of grass to give it depth (make it look like the grass is actually on top of the dirt)
5.) again on the grass-metting-the-dirt tile, clean up the dithering job, remove the single pixels of green on the dirt, make the little 'spikes' of grass shorter, grass blades aren't that long. :P

It's looking really good, i think the finished product will be really great, it's come a long way.

Offline Kamae

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 02, 2006, 05:09:37 pm
The background is looking pretty good but the sprites look out of place. Because of the perspective they look like they'd belong to a sidescroller, not a RPG :-\

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 02, 2006, 05:14:16 pm
It almost looks like it was drawn on a white sidewalk with chalk! If you really want to make the characters pop out  then make them signifiacantly more saturated. As they are now, the sprites are not saturated enough to use such justification.