AuthorTopic: New to Pixelation  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

New to Pixelation

on: November 29, 2006, 08:30:03 am
Hello to everyone. :y:

I got interested in the prospect of making pixel art really recently - then found this site - then lurked for about a week. The stuff I've seen here since I started browsing through threads blows my mind. The last iso collab is my desktop now.

I'm here to get better, straight up. I'm used to extremely harsh, honest criticism (got 4 years of it). I recognize that I suck at this and I don't expect to move past mediocrity in the near future. I'll appreciate every piece of advice that I get and take it to heart.

And I'm not a douchebag.

I did this in about an hour. These are the first pixels I've laid down in.. ever. Anything done has been the result of the tutorials I've managed to dig up.

Please do not be kind.

que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: New to Pixelation

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 11:03:34 am
again... welcome...

I think it's pants - rub it out and start again... go to the back of the class... (you said to be unkind) - but serioiusly - I like this...

your training shows when it comes to design...

typographic - nice...

as for pixel skills... it needs some attention... choice of limited pallete is - er... - interesting... vivid and bright which is nice... if a little startling...

the dithering appears a little haphazard up close... but you're brave in trying the 2x2 pixel dither - i'll give you that. you might want to consider tightening up your dithering though... try different variations with just two colors and see if you can transition smoothly from one to the other with different dither patterns... (as an excersise)

your AA (anti aliasing) is crude and shows your lack of understanding in this area (there - that's a bit unkind) but having said that it's a start... (there's some tutes knocking around somewhere if you have a look around)

you're 'shading your outlines' (which is nice) but I feel that the lighter outlines (on the upper section) are incongruous with the darker outlines (on the lower section) - perhaps you chould either choose one direction or the other - or - attempt to mix them from light to dark at the point they transition...? (just an idea)

on the whole though - it's nice to see some typography - makes a change from the ubiquitous trees and RPG style sprites that seem to be the first things n00bs attempt - (that's not a dig @ n00bs - btw - just an observation) - I believe by approaching pixels in the fashoin you are demoing here - helps to brush up fundamental skills... and for that I commend you...

well done... and welcome once more...

:y: :D

« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 11:05:55 am by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com