AuthorTopic: [CC] How would you improve this colour palette?  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile

[CC] How would you improve this colour palette?

on: May 19, 2018, 06:19:52 pm
Hi,

This is a screenshot of the game I'm currently working on. I like de-saturated colours much, but
I have the feeling that this isn't everybody's taste and/or that it might be overdone here.

How would you guys see this colour palette better, what would you change?

Quick edits are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Hugo.

EDIT:

This is the colour palette of the character, for reference
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 06:23:32 pm by Hoogo »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [CC] How would you improve this colour palette?

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 06:59:52 pm
I think it could use more contrast. It all feels very dull right now, and some of the smaller details don't read as a result. As a general rule, the smaller the area taken up by a colour, the more contrast it needs to be easily distinguishable from its neighbours. So, a palette meant to be used with small objects and sprites needs more contrast than one meant for art with large areas of colour.

Your hue-shifting seems to be all over the place, and as a result, the scene doesn't feel unified. Hue-shift your shadow colours towards some ambient hue, and your highlight colours towards some other hue. That will help objects drawn with the palette look like they exist in the same space and are illuminated by the same light sources.

Parts of the characters blend into the floor. The bunny is barely visible. This is less of a palette issue and more of a design problem though - you need to design your scenes and characters in such a way that they stand out from the backgrounds. This is a problem that a palette can't solve by itself, as it's about how/where you use the colours.

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:16:06 pm
Do you mean all my shadows should gradually shift towards the same hue and same for my highlights?

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 08:17:32 pm
I gave it a Try, Pretty much added saturation and tried to link colours as much as possible.
Is that any better to you?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 08:27:54 pm
Hard to compare with so many things recoloured xP

The contrast is nicer overall, but the hue-shifting still looks under-done and the character doesn't stand out well from the floor. For the character, you could give them an outline, so that they could work against a wide range of backgrounds. And yes, I did mean shifting towards the same hues.

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 08:43:43 pm
I tired to accentuate the hue shifting a bit more. Did you mean there wasn't enough shifting or it wasn't done the right way?
also yeah, I'm not really focusing on the character for now, I just really want this house to have pretty colours and the latter not be killing your eyes when you look at the screen. Then I'll mess up the palette a bit to make a general palette for the whole game and draw the rest from that. (is that reasonable to think like that?)
Thanks a lot for your feedback

EDIT: Yeah also, the lighting, nothing is done here, I'll do that last too :)

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 10:15:29 pm
Actually I really like low saturated colours, sort of pastel-like. Don't you?