AuthorTopic: Help with tiles.  (Read 13474 times)

Offline araknidkid

• View Profile

Help with tiles.

on: November 27, 2006, 07:24:18 pm
Alright, here's my problem. I'll create a tile like this one:

Looks fine as a single tile, right? (for the sake of this topic, let's say it looks fine. :P )

But when I line them up 2x2, it looks bad:

So, I guess I'm asking for help with making tiles transition into each other without being able to detect a lot of repetition.

Also, I need help with creating depth in tiles. Making the rocks look like they're kinda rising out of the ground...I really want to get better, so any and every peice of help is greatly appreciated. Feel free to edit my examples.

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Re: Help with tiles.

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 07:35:53 pm
Buy ProMotion and use its Auto Tile Completion feature. That's the answer for all the tiling problems.
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 08:41:27 pm
Buy ProMotion and use its Auto Tile Completion feature. That's the answer for all the tiling problems.

Seconded, but only if you are really serious about pixel art and have $80 to burn. Pro Motion Lite ($30) is missing tile features, so you'll have to go all out. There just happens to be a new video demonstrating some of the tiling features here:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2144.msg31503#msg31503

The other option is to use the original gangster method, which works in any program.

1. Image to be tiled.
2. Image is split in half, left side moved to right, right side moved to left.
3. Cleaning up lines in center. Stay away from the left and right edges of the image, they already tile correctly.
4. Split in half again, top and bottom swapped.
5. Clean up in center. Don't touch top or bottom edges.
6. Left and right swapped again, ditto with top and bottom. Back to original tile, but now the edges will tile.

Next image shows old tile and new tileable tile.

Final results. This was a quick rush. More effort in means better results out.

This technique works with any image, in any program, whether it be pixel art, or something more high res like a game texture. If the tile only needs to repeat horizontally or vertically, only swap in the direction needed.

Hope that helped.

Offline araknidkid

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 09:47:11 pm
Any more help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 11:22:30 pm
Any more help is greatly appreciated!

Dude that's harsh, i think what pkmays wrote is pretty great help, and perhaps all that you need. It's actually helped me too  :y:

Offline araknidkid

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 11:42:47 pm
This is only one reply though, and from what I've seen on these forums I'm sure there are other methods.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 11:44:26 pm
There might be other replies. How about putting what you've learned to good use while you wait?

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 01:09:51 am
This is only one reply though, and from what I've seen on these forums I'm sure there are other methods.
If you are going to ask C+C and not appreciate them why is the point of asking >:( you should atleast try it out and show your result..

Offline araknidkid

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 01:54:41 am
Here, I did the gangster method but it still looks horribly tiled.
I know there is a better way to do it because I see awesome looking tilesets out there. And I never I said I didn't appreciate pkmays method, I'm just asking for other tips.

Heres the result:

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 02:18:46 am
I think you'll find thats the only way to do tiles. Thats how I do all my tiles pretty much. My method is shown on the right. You
first make the tile, then paste it four times like shown (only without gaps), then make sure it lines up. Same as pkmays method but
maybe quicker.

Its probably a lack of practice/effort thats leading to dodgy tiles, not the method.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi