AuthorTopic: Face practise  (Read 4124 times)

Offline TehSilentOne

• View Profile

Face practise

on: November 27, 2006, 05:43:41 am

^ i have trouble drawing faces, so i thought it might help to pixel on, and get it to look right, since i have the all-amazing 'undo' command.. The picture looks best at several times zoomed in. I mainly am wondering about my anatomy, but my pallate could use work too, i suppose.

thx in advance, all.  ;D

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Face practise

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 05:59:27 am
That's a good face for saying you have trouble drawing them :P.

Anatomy-wise, I'm not 100% positive, but I remember hearing the art teacher say once that the eye go directly in the middle vertically, and in this guys face, they're up a little bit.  And for the spacing of the eyes, you should keep in mind that one imaginary eye should be able to fit between the two.  The sides of this guy's face seem a little wrong too; I'm pretty sure that, from the temples to the cheeks, you could get away with a straight line, or if anything, exaggerate the indentation a little less.  As for the chin and cheeks, I'd say they look fine for now, though I don't know much about that area of the face, so hopefully somebody else can help you out there.

Palette wise, I can tell you why it looks better when it's zoomed in: the difference between the main face color and the shading is basically non-existant, so they end up blending from far away.  What you wanna do is increase the contrast between the shade and midtone.

It's a good start, and is going to look excellent when it's finished.  Good luck!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline TehSilentOne

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 06:03:50 am
hm.. i noticed some annoying curls in the hair i don't like.. just a matter of removal. I see what you mean with the temple-to-cheeks, will fix that tommorow. The reason i say i can't draw faces, is that i tend to draw 'heads', that only contain shadows of the features, or more-or-les featureless.. abstract or whatever.

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 09:31:08 am
The face looks alot like Freddie Mercury from the band "queen"!
however great piece of pixels you got here!

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 09:56:24 am
I am not sure if it is correct because I am new to the structure of the face, but I studied some anatomy of it, and this is what I learned:

The distant between the eyes is the same as the nosewings, the lips are also on the same height were the jawline ends in the neck. Rydin was correct about the eyes that need to be in the middle, from the very top of your head till the chin 1/2.

Here is a fast scribbled edit to show you (I don't draw much in PS :P and not at all with tablet)

hope it still helps! good luck :y:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 10:00:21 am by KilledBySuicide »
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 10:14:53 am
here's a link with some excellent anatomical reference for facial msucles etc...
facial anatomy
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 10:35:51 pm
anyway I think its good what u did, everyone does not have that perfect look skull >< but i cant find the lightsource in ur pic.. he look dead :P
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:37:32 pm by Senad »
God forgive him for his sins I know its was his last minute, You spread his wings so he can only fly.. He will allways be a legend in our hearts and legends never die..

R.I.P Tose Proeski ~Senad

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 11:22:01 pm
This is somewhat of a personal quibble, but I don't like perfect symmetry in faces -- it's less realistic (for most cases) and less interesting :) Even if your face *is* symmetrical, your expression is not likely to be.

Aside from that, the extra bulge between the chin-bulge and the jaw-bulge is, I think, not correct, but I am unsure?

Looks great IMO, needs contrast as someone already mentioned  :lol: