AuthorTopic: EVIL CARNIVAL (WIP) HELP! :)  (Read 10781 times)

Offline Fly

• View Profile

EVIL CARNIVAL (WIP) HELP! :)

on: November 27, 2006, 03:58:32 am
Hey guys...Been working on this for the past 5 or 6 days.

Basically a guy screaming his brains out because this evil clown startled him as hes walking by the evil carnival..

I need some help on the feris wheel and the roof tops of the buildings.. I just cant seem to get them right...
Any other ideas on the piece, feel free to share... I need to get every bug out of this pic. This one im really proud of and want to be perfect.

I started off caring how many colors I used, but then I just decided that it didnt matter for this piece. I mean i'm sure it could look nice with few colors, but i'm really starting to fall in love with the fact that there are many colors. So if you want to submit some feed back or edit the piece, feel free to add new colors.

Thanks for the support guys.  :)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: EVIL CARNIVAL (WIP) HELP! :)

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 05:06:19 am
Did you use a reference for the faces?
The wood looks really strange...Like an abstract wood texture.

Offline Fly

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 05:38:56 am
Did you use a reference for the faces?
The wood looks really strange...Like an abstract wood texture.

yes faces were referenced, and im trying to make it abstract/realistic...I went for the real wood texture look, and it looked to plain... the abstractness gives it a very evil look

any ideas anyone on the roofs of the buildings, and the feris wheel?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 06:12:20 am
I'd say this is coming along quite nicely  :y:.  It's definitely got the dark/evil feel you're going for--reminds me intensely of Twisted Metal 4  :-X.

A few things bother me a bit though.
The texture on the little part that hangs out of the window blends together, and its hard to see the shape of it. Maybe putting some highlights on the edges would help a bit.
The light source is rather inconsistent: on the flags, the light's coming from the top left, on the wood, building structure, and screaming guy, it seems to be coming from the front, and on the clown, it's comes from the right right.  Pic a light source and stick with it  :P.
Also, the screaming guy's right cheek is extremely jagged, and you might want to check that out.

Over all though, this piece is doing very good.  Good luck trying to keep your color count low, and keep pixeling!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Fly

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 06:15:51 am
Thanks, i'll start working on the lighting... It's hard since I already screwed it up...

Offline Fly

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 06:18:32 pm
I'd say this is coming along quite nicely  :y:.  It's definitely got the dark/evil feel you're going for--reminds me intensely of Twisted Metal 4  :-X.

A few things bother me a bit though.
The texture on the little part that hangs out of the window blends together, and its hard to see the shape of it. Maybe putting some highlights on the edges would help a bit.
The light source is rather inconsistent: on the flags, the light's coming from the top left, on the wood, building structure, and screaming guy, it seems to be coming from the front, and on the clown, it's comes from the right right.  Pic a light source and stick with it  :P.
Also, the screaming guy's right cheek is extremely jagged, and you might want to check that out.

Over all though, this piece is doing very good.  Good luck trying to keep your color count low, and keep pixeling!

Fixed:
Guys right cheek (less jagged)
Attempted to adjust the lighting on the clown to match the front semi angled light view. (I understand the guy screamings lighting is a bit off, but I tried my best to give it some what of an angled look to match the clown and flags.) Flags lighting adjusted.
Fixed the wood on the plank that comes out of the wall.
Also added some more hair behind the clown with a darker shading to show that the light is coming more directly at him instead of an angle.

(Remember folks, I started off just drawing a guy screaming...I decided im sick of drawing profiles of people, so im gonna add a background.. Thats probobly why I kind of got distracted and lost focus on the lighting angle. Hopefully what i've done sort of fixes it. I know it is a bit off, but maybe less noticable now.)

Also I am attempting to start working on the roofs of the buildings..
Any ideas?

First Image:                                                                         Latest Image:

Obviously only slight changes, so you probobly wont be able to tell unless you look hard enough but it still does its job. Cover one up with your hand and hopefully you can notice a slighty adjusted lighting angle.

By the way, thank you so much Rydin, great crits. Really helping the image. I LOVE PIXELATION!   :-*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 06:23:41 pm by Fly »

Offline terminal_arcade

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 08:25:32 pm
Those lines on the checkered roof are way too straight. I've never messed around that much with drawing large expanses of fabric though, so not sure.

Zoom on the very outline of his cap. There are little specks of the lightest colour. I think it'd benefit from these being eliminated.

Offline Fly

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 08:43:17 pm
Those lines on the checkered roof are way too straight. I've never messed around that much with drawing large expanses of fabric though, so not sure.

Zoom on the very outline of his cap. There are little specks of the lightest colour. I think it'd benefit from these being eliminated.

Thanks..I forgot that I AA'ed those before putting building this image.

I decided to move away from the roof being tarp and am going for more of a glassy tile roof. #1 wood buildings dont tend to have tarp or fabric roofs. Here is what I got so far, and this will make up for it being so straight.

Heres what I made while waiting for a reply.

Offline Fly

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 05:22:05 am
Complete...Tell me what yall think

Offline Fly

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 07:58:42 pm
cmon guys!!!! my first large pixel art piece...  C+C plx

i know you guys can find plenty of things wrong with this, I really need the learning experience... plus I love reading the flaws in my images and I know there are many, but some I cant find and some I can do my best to fix

:) thanks