AuthorTopic: Forester Mockup 37 x 2 - b \ 240 = square + game.  (Read 18126 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Forester Mockup 37 x 2 - b \ 240 = square + game.

Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 07:19:11 pm
i have no crits other than what has already been said.
absolutely beautiful otherwise.

Offline eqko

• ehr !?
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 09:58:45 pm
ooh I love this great things going on with the paralax with the foreground leaves and such.

might be an idea to give the forester a more subtle less detailed uniform. I doubt foresters go about in full camo.
previously known as equinoxx

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 10:06:51 pm
lookin excellent alex, style wise this is looking like something I'll remember for quite a while, its teasin that its just a mockup and will probably only ever be just a mockup, graphics are beautiful.. Some great colour tips mentioned, if you work out all the kinks this will just be breath-taking.. Goodluck dude.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 11:04:26 pm
thats one damn fine mockup.

personally i think pkmays third pallette alteration is better. 

looking forward to updates :D

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 05:04:48 am
might be an idea to give the forester a more subtle less detailed uniform. I doubt foresters go about in full camo.
What camo?
Pkmay's 3rd alteration is indeed much easier on the eyes than that red you've got for the ground. However, I like the way the middle one has more atmosphere.

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 08:23:42 am
I just want to say that I think the character design kicks ass, I love how you've implied a lot of detail with colors and shapes as opposed to actually pixeling that detail. Muscles in the arms for example. The proportions of the character are great too, small head, big arms.. make him look like a tough guy commando type perfectly.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 02:07:19 pm
ptoing has a good point about losing the character, although as demonstrated by the palette swaps the background really makes a difference here (hes completely gone on the yellow, clear as crystal on the blue.)

i think, since your tree trunk seems to be entirely made of unique tiles (or just one large sprite, im not sure) that you should add a real shadow to the upper portions, such that it gives the tree a bit more volume.   you might also want to keep the bottom 'edge' of the leaf tiles in shade, since right now the shading pattern on them is really distorting.

anyhoo, its a very nice mockup, i cant wait to see how you choose to finish it :P

(ps - see how beautiful your work is when you use high chroma and value contrast?)

edit - separated the foreground from the background a bit, don't know if its what you want but i think it's clearer

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 02:16:40 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 04:01:28 pm
Dammit Adarias, that blue colour looks like radioactive mist to me on this screen @ _ @

lower brightness on that one? :0 Looks just weird on my screen :\
' _ '

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 07:15:45 pm
Dammit Adarias, that blue colour looks like radioactive mist to me on this screen @ _ @

lower brightness on that one? :0 Looks just weird on my screen :\

sorry, i was on an old monitor where the whole thing looked so dark+yellow and i could barely see.  now i look at my edit at home and am like, holy sh****ck that's bright >.<
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 12:29:59 am
Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful..

lets see if i can reply to some of your responses:

Xion Night, about the 45 degree branches, it is mostly due to the 8x8 tiles I was structureing things within. I wanted to be able to create multiple trees useing most of the same tiles. His head probably looks small because he has no hair.
I was thinking of maknig him wear some sort of bear skin type of thing with some bear head ontop of his head.

Ptoing, yeah i agree that too many things are sharing similar colors, and would probably give rise to some visibility issues, but I'm not too concerned about it as it's just a mockup.

pkmays, very cool palette edits! I didnt realize how red mine looked untill i saw some variations. Oh, and he's no commando.

terminal arcade, interesting suggestion. Perhaps i could try a more realistic heart.. ill look into it.

robotriot, i agree with the blob look of the smaller tree, i edited it a bit to define some leaves better, but it still looks more like the grass than the bigger tree.

crab2selout, thanks, the zortex tree effect is partly due to the intended style i wanted with collidable surfaces(having the inside darker). The tree folliage would be capable of standing upon.

Kable, thanks, the guy was the first thing i did and you describe the intended results i wanted for him.

Adarias, thanks, I'm not to concerned with things getting lost, considering it is a forest we're dealing with here, but it is a real issue for games so i undersstand where you're coming from. I don't think the guy would become completely invisible seeing as he would never go infront of the large tree.
I had intended the guy to be capable of standing ontop of the tree as well as perhaps hang from below it.

thanks for the comments, here's an update.. perhaps the colors are a bit better?