AuthorTopic: Forester Mockup 37 x 2 - b \ 240 = square + game.  (Read 18139 times)

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Re: Forester Mockup 37 x 2 - b \ 240 = square + game.

Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 09:41:08 am
thanks for the comments, here's an update.. perhaps the colors are a bit better?
Colors are OK, although I personally liked pkmays' 3rd palette better.
About the tree: it's upper part looks like it's made from a sort of ring of leaves with a big hole inside of it! - leaves are beautiful, BTW.
About the guy: the head is perhaps a tad too small... I mean, even for a commando. Maybe just 1 pixel larger and it will look less odd, while retaining the emphasis on the muscly body.
Looks fine overall :)

saimo
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:32:52 pm by saimo »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 12:11:31 pm
Love the design of this. The bright colours are great, especially the bold contrast between red and green i like. The character looks pro, great detail. I also really like what you've done with the tree, but i must agree that it looks like some time portal. Perhaps it just needs texture going all the way into the centre? Then again i can deal with it, as it works well against the other tiles as ones you can stand on. I think it's pretty important for that to be easily recognisable.

I agree the hearts don't fit. Not necissarily the fact they're the general heart symbols, but because of the way you've done them, like shaped lip-gloss tins or something..  :lol:

Great work, can't wait to see it finished.

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 10:30:11 pm
Personally I really like your use of silhouettes (sp?) on the foreground and background layers. The only layer with any real detail is the main tile layer and even then you've manged to keep it to a lot of repeated elements without making it look too tiled. It's possible that you could create a lot of content for a game like this and have it look really good without getting to burned out.   Nice design overall! 

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 10:45:03 pm
I especially like the almost neon look- due to such high contrast and hue shifting. I was a bit put of by how the tree but I also see how it fits into the design pretty well.

quite pro

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 06:58:19 pm
At the risk of sounding like what I hear pixeljoint posts are like...this absolutely blows my shit away.  This is one of those pieces of art that simultaneously inspires me to just pixel my ass off all day long AND demolishes whatever ego I was starting to build up about my own art.  The character design is phenomenal, and is begging to be animated.  I'm very eager to see more tree designs that reuse the tile set you've made, I think that's a very clever idea.  The foreground plant silhouettes are beautiful, and the way the dark red outlines work at 1x is really inspirational.  I agree with the other crits that the hearts seem out of place - i could see them in a Fejer mockup, but not this one ;)  A bar, or maybe a line of adjacent circles a la Astro Boy would work better I think (and would still pop out nicely).

Thank you for posting this!

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #25 on: November 29, 2006, 09:09:16 pm
thanks..
it seems the hearts are really out of place..

how is this?

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 09:31:22 pm
Why not have a really minimal interface on the bottom instead of a big one in the upper-lefthand corner? The tileset is beautiful, let it breathe.

This is a really quick example, but:

que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 09:33:46 pm
thats much more manly aswell.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 09:36:40 pm
I like big interfaces. Big but discrete is something I strive for. Sure, the smaller the interface is, the less it gets in the way, but it's downright annoying to have to divert your attention from the action in order to see how much more you can take. FarCry Instincts keeps killing me EXACTLY all the time for that reason. Tiny tiny digital health meter...

I quite like the new one with the big throbby heart. Except, supposedly realistic renditions of internal organs make me feel funny. I'd prefer just having colored bars and nothing else. Or, like, a cool icon if the game has some sort of logo. A shiny knife with blood dripping from it, and the dripping blood creates the health bar. That'd be awesome.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 11:59:27 pm
The heart is great. I like how you incorporated the blue bar alongside the blue veins. Somehow i feel the glossyness of it doesn't fit though.. (haha, here i go again). Very well executed though!  :0'