AuthorTopic: Game Design Question  (Read 8050 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Re: Game Design Question

Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 11:32:04 am
I think you're nearly there, there's a bit of eye glare from the contrast I think could be fixed with either a slightly darker color on the paper or a shift to the font the previous edit by Eishiya uses

I've darkened the pages a bit.

I think the text also gets rather close to the bottom of the screen, I think the bottom line should be higher up off the edge (you could afford to raise all the lines up by a few pixels). That would give you more room for the arrow too.

Ok, I've moved the lines up by 2 pixels.

Arial does indeed look good! I think you need to keep the font further from the page edges though. Try to keep at least an em between the text and the edges. You've got it right on the left edge of the left page.

Ok, text now stands 6 pixels from the lines' left end and 4 pixels from the right end. This makes text justification a bit wonky but there's no going around it with pixel font I don't think. Either way, it's a bit frustrating but not unbearable or a major turn-off.

And an Nth reminder: don't forget your theme/metaphor! Make that arrow a scribble or something xP

Hey, I agree about the notebook theme, not the scribbling part  :crazy:. I tried the scribbled arrow but didn't have enough room for anything convincing. So I opted for an ink blotch with an arrow in the ink. I think it looks good that way.

I'll keep trying about those tabs thing.

I just realized I was still missing something. I need to have the player's hit points displayed on screen at all times. I wanted to use something like this:

The health goes down as a sort of meter (think Earthbound here). Anyways, this is already coded in, which means I've paid for it. I'd rather keep it not to have wasted money away. Now the meter needs to appear on the screen, somewhere. As a rolling meter, it wouldn't fit on the notebook. I figured the upper left would make sense as this is usually where health is displayed in games.

Now of course I can other graphics around it to integrate it with the theme better but I have no idea why.

Now I can't use the heart because I've already used it in the tabs for the status menu and I like the way it looks.

So basically:

I need to figure out how to integrate the meter thematically without using the heart as an icon.

1st on top: to bare bones. I did like the idea of crossing bandages as an health icon. More original than the usual cross.

2nd on top: added texture and made the crossed bandages bigger. Tried to integrate it with the meter better. Added some blood dripping from the bandage too. It's still badly integrated however.

Ideas?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 01:19:36 pm
The arrow doesn't read to me. Keep it simply dark-on-white, you don't have space for such fanciness xP

As for the health meter (which, tbh I didn't realize was a health meter) Why not put the heart tab as the highest one, and have it have a little rolling thing? Bookmarks with moving parts have a long history! Here's one with a rotating dial calendar, here's a medieval one with a dial, here's one with an electronic timer, this one's an electronic dictionary wtf... Point is, if you have a bookmark with something like a health ticker, it wouldn't be entirely unnatural, it would just need to be an actual bookmark rather than a sticky tab. I think that's actually pretty neat though, it would continue into the page and have additional stats on it :D

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 04:32:36 pm
The arrow doesn't read to me. Keep it simply dark-on-white, you don't have space for such fanciness xP

I've reworked the blotch a bit. Does it read better now?

As for the health meter (which, tbh I didn't realize was a health meter) Why not put the heart tab as the highest one, and have it have a little rolling thing? Bookmarks with moving parts have a long history! Here's one with a rotating dial calendar, here's a medieval one with a dial, here's one with an electronic timer, this one's an electronic dictionary wtf... Point is, if you have a bookmark with something like a health ticker, it wouldn't be entirely unnatural, it would just need to be an actual bookmark rather than a sticky tab. I think that's actually pretty neat though, it would continue into the page and have additional stats on it :D

I don't know how to integrate the meter I have right now to the heart bookmark. The meter is too large to fit in there. If you meant to draw a new meter, it'd be wasting the money I've already given the programmer to code it in so I don't want to do that (it's quite a bit of money).

I've tried two more versions:

So I don't know. I realize that doesn't fit with the whole book thing but I feel like there's no way around it.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #23 on: April 21, 2018, 07:04:47 pm
I thought you said you could change the art but keep the programming? It could work the same way but be positioned differently, on a large bookmark.
Whatever you go with, I think it should be positioned as a bookmark or at least near them, it looks out of place in the corner, and the new drafts don't fit thematically with anything.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 09:02:47 pm
I mean, I can change the art around the meter but not the meter itself, that's coded in. Anyways, I have no clue what to do right now what I'll figure something out I'm sure. If worse comes to worse, I'll just have the meter stick out like a sore thumb thematically.

As I've explained in the first message of the thread, the game is a basically an interactive book. This means that players will make decisions throughout the game. Now, I need to decide how to best handle the choice making occurrences.

It needs to be clear for the player that he's got to make a choice. Also, I need a safeguard to make sure the player doesn't make a mistake by accident by mistake.

At the moment, pressing A and D switch pages backwards and forwards. Logically, I don't want to use the same keys to alternate between various available options. I would use "W" and "S" to change from option to option, therefore making sure there's no confusion for the player.

Option 1:
(nervermind the tabs here, just focus on the choice making mechanic).

In this instance, you'll notice that the passive narrative is reserved for the notebook while the choice making pops up in a new separate window. This has the advantage of keeping a clear separations between things. The disadvantage is that it covers either the narrative or the art background which is problematic. Also, if there are a lot of options, everything will get covered up by the new pop-up so I can't really use that one.

Option 2:

In option 2, there's a page break when the player needs to make a choice. Also, the scale icon shows up as well. This has the advantage not to hide anything which makes it a much better choice.

It feels bare bones like this however.

1. Should I trigger an animation+sfx to inform the player he/she needs to make a choice or would it be overkill?

2. Should I require a "Confirm" function? For example, press "Enter" once to select and one more time to confirm? Or should I just ask the player to make a decision and press "Enter" once and that's it?

3. Should I start the cursor at a neutral location instead of putting it next to the first option to avoid pressing enter by mistake? I mean having the cursor besides the choices so that the player needs to consciously press "S" and "W" to move it next to a "selectable" option? I don't think this should be necessary as changing pages requires the A and D key, not the enter key. In other words, "Enter" would only be used to confirm a selection.

4. Should I put a different icon before each choice to clearly differentiate them? Like roman numerals for example or can I just use something simple like dots.

In Firetop Mountain, they use the mouse so it doesn't really apply with my game. This being said:

You'll notice there are arrows before choices.

P.S.: I wouldn't use the hand cursor, it was just for the mockup.

Let me know what you think please!

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 11:15:18 pm
*Bump*

I'm experimenting with the choice mechanic. Choices are on the right page. I've tried the silhouette of a scale. I've redrawn the fountain pen.

That's about it for now!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 02:29:28 am
that wood floor is WAY too noisy, it makes it hard to see anything in the environment! I strongly suggest you take out the two darkest wood colors in favor of the lighter ones, since most of the objects in the room follow a darker color scheme.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 07:25:59 pm
Thanks, I'll fix it.

For inventory I was thinking of something like this:

Inventory on the left page and a description on the right.

I'm unsure if putting the selected item on the right page. It seems redundant.

Do you guys prefer one or the other?

Offline Xorceles

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 10:13:48 pm
look very good to me almost look like you done a screenshot of a game play
the hud on the right is weird the pink color doesn't match with the color of the game the theme of the game is blue imo you can change it to a note in a paper with a hand draw like heart(hope it help)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 03:29:57 pm
Yeah, I think I'll have to bite the bullet on that one and drop the meter. Shame to pay for it and not use it though  :'(. Oh well, can't let it guide my decision.

So here's what I'm thinking for the health meter instead:

The problem is that the number ends up being tiny. On the bright side, it makes better use of the space on the left. I'd need the tab to be the same size as the other tabs.

So I made a few of those in order to make up my mind as to which tab to use. I will be referring you to each tab by their numbers.

#1: Too small, too hard to read.
#2: Better. Still too plain.
#3: Approached the rotating part of the tab to the side. Number is more readable (still too small?). Once it's x2, it should be just fine I reckon.

I like the cohesion of the overall thing. What do you guys think?