AuthorTopic: Yay for no aa  (Read 6032 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Yay for no aa

on: November 25, 2006, 09:16:45 pm
Some time ago I was thinking about doing a big picture without any aa, since I am such a whore for aa I thought it could be a nice personal challenge.
At some point I also opted for no dither since I did not feel that it was really helping it.

16 colours as well.

and progress animation.

Lesson learned:
Working without aa is not that hard and if you make stuff geometric you can make it work even better. whee.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Yay for no aa

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:25:57 pm
I love it.  It's amazing how you manipulated angles to get a similar smoothing effect.  I think the background is rather bland, but its does its job.  Um, I think the music note (I hope thats what it is  :-\) that the bird's thinking is okay, but for some reason or another looks a little strange to me.  Also, the little patch of green, above the bird, in the background, stands out a lot to me, but I guess you really have no choice but to use it (though you could use the line dither ( ??? donno what its called) that you used on the orange expression lines and his eyebrow.)  You could also probably have gotton away with using that on the thought bubble and music note, too.

Overall, it's amazing; no aa and no dither and it still turned out amazingly smooth.  Great work ptoing. :y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 09:39:08 pm
im so glad you dropped the dither.
alexander

Offline Lelle

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 09:47:51 pm
I think it looks great! It would probably not be as powerful if it had tons of AA. Didnīt notice at first that the birdie had taken a dump on his chin  :lol:

Cheers,

Lelle

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 09:56:39 pm
Looks great, but I do think that thumb needs a buffer as the shading looks harsh. Something like the "fat buffers" you used on the knuckles would work. The outline could be lighter too. That one spot on the piece just bugs me.

I'll have to investigate this no outline no dither thing. It looks good, and I'll bet it reduces the time to make sprites dramatically. This'll probably work on something that isn't so stylized as well .

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 09:58:09 pm
This is just an awesome style! Love the challenge of using no AA and dither and still manage to keep it smooth,  simply wonderfull :y:

in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 11:29:32 pm
Hey Dude! Erm I love it to be frank! i like the style very much! one crit/querie... The bend in the nose doesnt not line up with the perspective of the chin, if you understand what im saying. Basically to m it feels like the nose is going off into the background - not above the chin. This may be on purpose but then how can there be bird squit on his chin... Just something that was bothering me sligtly.

Love the piece mate! As always you've pulled off a stylised and very nice piece.

Dan
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 12:08:02 am
Wonderful style, execution and colors :y:
Now, my only humble remarks...
One thing that strikes me as odd - besides the nose VS chin perspective as noted by Dan - is the rightmost "branch" of the squirt, which does not follow the vertical surface of the chin.
And the body feels a bit too flat - maybe just some minor highlights would help.

saimo

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 01:50:43 am
im so glad you dropped the dither.
I agree.
Also this is a great showing of skill.
It looks so smooth.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 09:17:41 am
One thing that strikes me as odd - besides the nose VS chin perspective as noted by Dan - is the rightmost "branch" of the squirt, which does not follow the vertical surface of the chin.

Actually, if you look at the right border of the chin, it matches up well, it's just that the angle of the left edge is wrong.

But anyway, great work here, and it's nice to see you using a custom palette again from time to time ;) *savestohd*
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON