AuthorTopic: Anime Girl [CC appreciated]  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Anime Girl [CC appreciated]

on: April 08, 2018, 11:22:08 pm
Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I've posted here (probably close to four years or so) but I've finally been getting back into pixel art. I wanted to challenge myself and draw something totally outside of my comfort zone but still pretty manageable so I decided to draw something anime related.

This is where I am currently:

The hair has probably given me the most trouble and I'm not entirely happy with how it looks currently but its better than what it was previously. I more or less want to be done with the hair and face before moving onto the torso since that'll be the easiest thing to complete (I'll probably add the cat ear hair band last).
I think I've lost a bit of the feeling the first few sketches had in her expression but again, I'm not sure how to bring those back.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how she's coming along but I really want some extra pairs of eyes on her to pick out things that I've likely missed.

Here are a few images that I saved earlier on so you can see my progression:

Last two are spoiler'd because I only took zoomed in screenshots and they're pretty big and I didn't want to take up a lot of space.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Anime Girl [CC appreciated]

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 06:16:43 am
she has a really stupendously bulbous forehead, even before you put that giant hair on top of that base. Foreheads don't tend to take up THAT much space unless something is very wrong!

I give this advice a lot, but take a moment to find pictures of skulls on google and draw those. Like, as 1:1 as you can from those references. It'll give you a huge kickstart towards figuring out how to keep things proportional and especially understand the structure of the forehead and browline.

Do that like... ten times, you'll see an immediate improvement guaranteed.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 01:59:56 am
Update:

Spent the remainder of my day after work tweaking things and fixing some things I realized after sleeping on it. The face was a bit too undefined and some pixel clusters near her right eye were throwing things off with the curve of her head. Also had a few other eyes look at it which was a considerable help.

Someone suggested on a PA discord server I'm in that the outlines on the bangs are taking away from things and I totally agreed. Its not where I want it just yet but its a big improvement over the glossy mess from before. I dropped her right eye down a bit and made her left one 1px less in width and also tweaked it a bit. Cutting away a lot of the details and adding some more appropriate ones really made a positive impact and I feel like I can start moving forward with the piece again.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 03:17:48 am
Another update, going to call this finished after some more tweaking and maybe something of a background. I'm fairly pleased with how it came out.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 07:14:15 am
her forehead is still real big man
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 01:27:23 pm
her forehead is still real big man
While I would agree with you if I was shooting for normal human proportions, I am not currently shooting for normal human proportions. In anime the "big head" look is overwhelmingly common and a bit of a staple of the industry.
I'm not sure how much anime you've watched or if you're familiar with some of the interesting stylistic approaches but its very common for some characters to have big hair, a big head or a combination of the two.

While the head was originally considerably larger in my first sketches, I was mostly just giving myself a curve for her hair and I used the curve as a guide for the hair. I wanted to draw someone with some bigger hair that has some volume and I think that is what is giving the illusion that her forehead is quite large.

If you really cannot move passed the fact that she has a big head and that it is intentionally done (albeit she is by no means perfect and  I do not claim for there to be no issues with her proportions) then I highly suggest you to think of it as a caricature. Though if you really want to keep going forward then perhaps some redlines or an edit would better sell your point.

I will say again though that my goal was not to draw a human girl with human proportions, my goal was to draw an anime girl with anime proportions. Im not sure if you missed that or just dislike some of the stylistic approaches that anime takes?  ???

I'm interested in if you think anything else needs tweaking or adjusting though. How are my colors? Is my AA alright or potentially overdone in some places along the curve of her face? Does the lighting seem consistent? Are my clusters decent?

Mostly stuff like that, people seem fairly tight lipped around here these days but maybe I've just posted during a time where people are busy with their lives.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 02:23:53 pm
IMHO the problem isn't that her forehead is big, it's that her forehead sticks out because it goes up and then sharply-ish turns horizontal (top of her head), instead of sloping from one to the other gently. Foreheads generally slope backwards, the one in your drawing bulbs forwards.

Edit:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:26:54 pm by eishiya »

Offline spO_oks

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 02:38:08 pm
Eishiya's edit nails it! Doesn't change the character style at all but makes the head/hair shape much more natural.
Try not to get so defensive with critiques dude ;)

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 02:57:28 pm
IMHO the problem isn't that her forehead is big, it's that her forehead sticks out because it goes up and then sharply-ish turns horizontal (top of her head), instead of sloping from one to the other gently. Foreheads generally slope backwards, the one in your drawing bulbs forwards.

Edit:

Ahh, ok, I see! Thanks for the edit, that makes a world of difference!   :D
I was trying to make it look like head was tilted forward though I don't think I managed to draw that very well.

Try not to get so defensive with critiques dude ;)

Wasn't trying to be defensive, just explain why I had drawn it the way I did  :) I did get a little verbose there but I wanted to make sure I was totally covering all my bases.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 10:47:15 pm
Update:

Went ahead and made the changes to the hair as suggested above, totally made a world of difference! It really helps to have several pairs of eyes on something after you've looked at it the same thing for so long, I didn't even notice the curve was really off. This was my first time working with hair as well so it's certainly been a good learning experience!  ;D