AuthorTopic: iso futuristic facility  (Read 7986 times)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

iso futuristic facility

on: November 24, 2006, 09:51:41 am
Well I've been getting some grevious pixel-block of late...finding it hard to keep up work. I was looking through my old old old pixel art and found the beginnings of a futuristic kind of facility, and decided to fiddle with it...might as well complete it, I thought.

Here's the old piece that I found:

And here's how the facelift is coming along:

Not really alot done yet...I've got to go to work soon, so I'll leave it at this for now. C&C if you want.  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 10:07:45 am by EyeCraft »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: iso futuristic facility

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 11:26:16 am
Whoa, the colours in the facelift is CANDY compared to the original hue-shiftless ones ; 3;

The design was nice to begin with, but you're making the rendering even wonderfuller.

I like it :] The shadows make me think less "Iso LOLZ" and more "Oh, a building" :]

And I like that, ISO is a means, not a goal (now THAT might be some bad english :\)
' _ '

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 12:19:16 pm
I agree, the shadows are great and I also like the new palette. The tower at the end of the bridge doesn't have a shadow yet though, nor does the bridge itself. And you should add textures to all the surfaces, making it look less clean. Plus get rid of a lot of those outlines around the building's roof. Keep it up!
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline calle_

• hm?
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 02:32:54 pm
Looks really nice! 
I dont know if its a centerpiece or a background for this and that ?  however some suggestions that might make it more interesting to look at.

use value to describe form and ditch a few outlines, I think that could make it more dynaimc, But that might not be you goal?

Judging by the cast shadows and the color choices its a scene where the sun(or just lightsource) is somewhat low and not very bright. Boosting
purple in shadows and yellows in the light might make it prettier. As I said I dont know if you are going for colorful and moody or dark and discrete.
It would propably be even more dramatic if you stayed with a desaturated light beige vs a saturated dark purple.

just quick PS colorbalance.  for better or worse.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 04:03:31 pm
The new colours look great, but It does give the impression of near night time, neon glow or a faded sunset. The shadows have a very strong blue hue and the light parts are pretty faded as well. I don't think upping the lights contrast and making it more yellow will work as well, unless you are aiming for the sunset feel. In mid day, parts that are hit with light have much colour and is usually yellow tinted. However, shadows are not always blue or gray, that is usually the case for places more hidden away. On the tower for example, the shadows can have a more reddish hue as it is in the open and can get hit with light from several directions. Or in some cases that the combined light can alter ones perseption of the shadow an tint it red. Depends on the material the building is made from.

Just tossing out suggestions. Want to see how this progresses.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 04:06:29 pm
Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's quite some food for thought...I got back from work and played a little more with it:

EDIT: Maybe something like this;

Slowly but surely...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:12:12 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline calle_

• hm?
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 04:36:12 pm
The contrast by the left windows throws you off a bit. 
I like the new cast from the tower and the removal of some of the outlines.

Regarding color:
Usually the midtones are the ones with most saturation and not the light parts(say a sunny day for example) however this changes with the visual situation.
Shadows doesnt not have to be gray or blue indeed, somtimes to make an image more attractive color wise, the shadows will be in compliment of the light (example: yellow light, Purple shadow Or blue light , orange shadow)   And "usually" shadows are less saturated. but you can pretty much mix alot however you may like it depending on the scene.
I guess you could be real picky about everything and put in the reflected light, color, hue shifts and whatnot if it was a painting. But its still a isometric building on pixel level so simplification is quite imporatant imo.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 04:56:52 pm
I probably will be playing with at least some level of realistic light behaviour, but nothing extreme.

Die outlines, die!

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 05:03:13 pm
You've got a really nice style going here, very clean and smooth, but I think you went a bit too far into increasing the saturation of the tone for the rooftops, right now it looks very tinted and I think a bit more of a whitish color for that would make it appear more natural.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 05:09:08 pm

Hmm, how about this then? I think I'll worry about palette a little later...kind of getting caught up in it, XD.