AuthorTopic: Fallen Angel Sprite  (Read 8101 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Fallen Angel Sprite

Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 05:54:25 pm
Thanks for the critique :) Yeah, I always over exaggerate the upper body and arms in all my work, with smaller legs, not sure why haha. Do you think I should not do this for the future?

For this case I wanted his arms to be strong, but I didn't want to make him to overthetop, sorta trying to give him strength as in presence, angel, I'm not sure if I did it right.

in a way this is similar to the way Bruce Timm does his superheroes - extreme upper bodies -
you know who I mean ?

Difference being, his figure (as stylized as they maybe) do adhere to the vertical proportions... i.e. the arms tend to fall so that the fingertips hang just over half way down the thigh... where yours is past it's knees...

Nicely done though - like the pallette particularly... just need to focus on the old anatomy... and your sorted...

:)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 07:47:37 pm
Thank you for the kind words :) I understand what you mean. I'm gonna take Helm's advice (and yours) and get a better understanding of anatomy.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 08:04:05 pm
(png supports transparency but for some reason it wouldn't work :<)

Regarding Helm's anatomy, the anatomy was teh shit, but the pose was nothing like yours. So I made a Jad-type messy large-brush edit that tried to incorporate semi-realistic anatomy and keep the pose. his head is smaller, so that looks better proportion-wise. His arms are slimmer and less gorilla-ish. his neck is raised so that he has his head high.

otherwise, I think the edit speaks for itself :] Of course I destroyed your image at the same time :0

Otherwise, I think the lighting of the piece and the details like the hair and ragged cape and so is LE SHIT. You own at it. Start owning at anatomy and start to dish out pixel-ownage, you!
' _ '

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 09:49:32 pm
Thanks jad! Your pose looks great with the improved anatomy. I have learned a valuable lesson in this thread and will seek to study anatomy as best I can  ;D Thanks for the kind help!

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 11:37:10 pm
I was just thinking instead of redoing the whole anatomy maybe you could get away with making the legs bigger.

I really like the pallete you used and what you got done with few colors. As Jad said the cloth and hair are cool.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 11:42:37 pm
I just don't want to see him hunched forward like that, if he's an angel, although fallen, he should have a proud posture, I think :>
' _ '