AuthorTopic: [Feedback] Street Scene  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Lilimewmew

• View Profile

[Feedback] Street Scene

on: February 09, 2018, 01:08:08 pm
Hi all,

In the past I've mostly gotten by with programmer art, but decided to try my hand at making some of my own stuff.

The idea's that it's supposed to look somewhat like a Victorian-era street, in a sort of GBA-Streets of Rage-esque way, but I've sort of hit a block with progress on it.

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated!

Offline Lilimewmew

• View Profile

Re: [Feedback] Street Scene

Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 02:39:28 am
Small update~

I think realistically it needs a better palette, as I think I'm using a few too many colours, and I'm not a fan of the 'road' side at all, but not sure how to go about fixing that just yet.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 03:04:39 am
I think the road looks strange because it's not in the same perspective as the wall/door. The curve on the round bits suggests the camera is fairly low, but the setts on the road being at 45 degree angles suggest we're seeing the road directly from above.

Squishing the bricks vertically would help a lot, I think:

You'd probably also want to make the roads to be squished more when they're running horizontally, and wider when they're vertical, to suggest perspective.

I also think that instead of having a dither overlay for the shadows by the sides of the road, you should make dedicated road-edge tiles.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:06:51 am by eishiya »

Offline Lilimewmew

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 03:45:05 pm
That's definitely a huge improvement, thank you!

I know what you mean about the dithering at the sides of the road -- I think the road looks a little busy for being so few colours! I think some of this would be solved if I can figure out a better palette for it or make each 'tile' larger. I'll see what I can produce from the tips, thanks!

As an update, I've edited the pavement to add a more 'solid' edging between the road and pavement. Hopefully this means the dithering effect isn't required to try and differentiate the two!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:06:36 am by Lilimewmew »