AuthorTopic: Beast's Study Thread - Perspective and some other things.  (Read 7287 times)

Offline CritiqueMyWork

• View Profile

Re: Let’s Study Perspective

Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 10:52:23 pm
That blog is great, i wish i could understand a thing. But i cannot study pixel art and japanese at the same time!

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 04:04:16 am
I don't know Japanese either, I just go after the pictures. ;D Probably not doing floor plan drawings anytime soon, but might be a good practice to get used to creating scenes in 3D in the future.

I have finished my box drill, now the difficulty is jumping from constructing abstract forms to constructing real life forms. This requires not a pure bottom up approach but more a mix of both.

I am not yet at a level where I can construct arbitrary real life objects yet so for now I focus on constructing one thing I already familiarized myself before: the head. I follow moderndayjames approach to construction here, who is probably the number one source on perspective drawing right now.

"STRUCTURAL ANATOMY: Drawing the Head" Video by moderndayjames

I use a pressure sensitive ball point pen for the construction lines and a quite heavy gel pen for the final lines. That way the construction lines are there but aren't as visible. As I become more accustomed to the construction I should get away with only imagining most construction lines rather than drawing them out.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:21:35 am by API-Beast »

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 02:47:37 pm
The construction practice didn't really get me anywhere so I shifted my focus to textures and rendering, getting a bit more mileage. This medium is so different that I can't really apply anything I learned from pixel art, but I hope to master it in a similar fashion to be a bit more flexible.

I use material showcases like these as reference. They work very nicely for this purpose as they only show the parts relevant to the rendering, no less no more. It's very difficult to figure the intricacies of a material from photos.

[/url]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:53:10 pm by API-Beast »