Poll

What references do you draw from the most?

Nature, the best teacher
Other artists/movements
Video games
Manga/Anime ~~( ^_____^)~~~~~~~~~x.x;;of0_03osidnqpinku
Other cartoons/animation
Cinema
Music
Literature
All of the above
References are for the weak.  I am strong.
Other: I cannot be adequately described by your pathetically narrow set of criteria.

AuthorTopic: References Poll  (Read 10208 times)

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

References Poll

on: November 16, 2006, 05:29:26 pm
What references do you draw from the most when creating pixel art, or art in general?

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Re: References Poll

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 05:38:10 pm
I voted "Other artists/movements", although I use references from nature just as much. I think it's best to study as much material as possible: life, photos, artwork in every medium.

I also think that it's best to visit more than one art community, so that you don't get too caught up in the bandwagons of just one forum. I sneak around just about everywhere, haha.  :D

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:44:30 pm
I picked "References are for the weak. I am strong." but not because I have a stupid attitude like that but because I am too lazy to find references most of the time.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 05:53:42 pm
Hey PP?!

can you add an 'all of the above button'? <Thanks Ptoing>

- so yeah... references come from everywhere... not one set of criteria can be specifically defined - otherwise you limit yourself.

go forth and pixel!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:04:49 pm by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 06:08:04 pm
Mine are varied so I chose the last option. When I look at things in daily life, I objectively analyze their form, colour, lighting etc. and then go and apply them to a new piece. Looking at artist's pictures can be very insightful. Looking at photos helps too, in a direct sense.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 12:43:11 am
All of the above, I'd say.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 01:58:06 am
Other artists are my main reference for sure. If I ever have trouble with inspiration, I either wait it out or look into my archive folder that holds some of my favorite pieces from various people.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 03:25:20 am
I picked Anime ^.^

no really, Nature.  I can't get enough of it.
typing ewith fdace

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 08:26:50 am
Sexy babes.. xD Well i usually trace em.. Only thing i can do from scratch is Tilesets..and im pretty good at that.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 11:06:43 pm
I picked all of the above. I would say mainly nature, but I have a serious problem getting what I see with nature down to a pixel level, at least decently.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 12:05:20 am
Yeah, all of the above. Other pixel artists for techniques and inspiration, literature for the subject and content (and meaning, if applicable), and of course art references for color, anatomy, etc. Nature sometimes, but rarely, and video games for just about everything else.
Never anime.
Never.

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 07:08:53 pm
All of the above!
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 11:19:07 pm
i put nature, but observation would be the best for that; basically, i observe the object in it's natural state.  my mind is penetrated by other media, but direct  observation is by far the best for me.  conceptually, i either work based on the utilitarian needs of the piece, or i explore religion (though the latter is more in my traditional art and writing, of which nobody on this board knows much about)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 06:46:54 am
explore religion (though the latter is more in my traditional art and writing, of which nobody on this board knows much about)

Whoa.. what?

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 06:50:51 am
almost all of the above, I cant say Ive really been inspired to pixel from literature.. but I can see it happening one day.. infact thinking over a few books gives me a few good ideas
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 07:02:46 am
Manga/Anime ~~( ^_____^)~~~~~~~~~x.x;;of0_03osidnqpinku

Lol!

Um, I picked "All Of The Above". Just about everything influences me. And I go through moods, which means my art is not only influenced by outside things, but also influenced by the mood I'm in. If I'm in the mood to drawing something dark and sketchy, I'll do that. If I'm in the mood to draw something vibrant and anime-like, I'll do that. I'm all over the place. lol
Oh, and I mainly draw from thought. I rarely look at anything for reference unless it's a self portrait or whatever.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:05:19 am by Ryona »

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 08:47:51 am
i chose all of the above

because depending on what im working on i look at different things

usually i get inspired by a combination of other finished products, whether it be from cartoons, comics, tv, etc
then i form a basic idea of what i want in my head
then usually i try and find some natural / real life things (existing in real life, but not necessarily nature, ex: cars, machines, etc)

then usually i use my real references for the major part of the picture
i will refer to the other finished products for idea inspiration, or to see a way about detailiing something

so i use a combo.
generally i have atleast 2 references, even if its of the same thing, but from different angles
however, i have gone 5+ before, just with different angles, nature parts, finished parts etc.

i sometimes also reference just for a specific part of an image. Say i want shaggy hair on something, i may reference a camel even if the image isnt a camel.
---

my question though
it is ok to use references for an image?
or would it be much more preferred if it all came from imagination?
as of right now, most of my seriouse stuff is all a combination of references and imagination, and i jut want to double check that that is not frowned uupon

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 01:16:48 pm
-All of the above.

Mainly, it's something along the lines of Music/ Television/ Video Games/ and sometimes other artists..  :y:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 12:02:53 am
Other: I cannot be adequately described by your pathetically narrow set of criteria.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 08:43:55 am
my question though
it is ok to use references for an image?
or would it be much more preferred if it all came from imagination?
as of right now, most of my seriouse stuff is all a combination of references and imagination, and i jut want to double check that that is not frowned uupon

OF COURSE it's alright...!!! - Sheesh! - I've heard of limitations but that's just a bit too far if you ask me...
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 09:35:13 am
Quote from: The Eatpoo Guide for Art desperados

[...]
Draw from life. It might be fun to draw anime chicks and beefy dudes with swords, but remember that the basis of all fantasy is reality. Drawing from real life will greatly improve the way you draw from your imagination. Enrol in figure drawing classes. If that's not possible, just go out in public and draw people as they go about their business, or draw your family, friends and pets while they are reading, sleeping, or watching television. Draw the things around your desk. Draw buildings. Even drawing from photographs is a lot better practice than drawing from your mind.
[...]
Use references. When drawing anything, it helps a lot to have the object in front of you, or at least photographs of it. For example, you may think you know what clouds look like, but there are many types of cloud, and their color and texture is always different. That doesn't mean you have to copy the photo or object exactly, but a reference always helps your depiction of lighting, texture and form.
[...]

Copying from eatpoo because it's nicely put. It's a good read btw, you might want to check the rest too.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 11:00:36 pm
the eatpoo guide is your mantra; meditate upon it daily.
typing ewith fdace

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 04:03:19 am
hehe alright

im glad to hear that it is acceptable - or almost preferred
i just wanted to double check that i wasnt 'cheating' or doing anything poorly

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 05:36:10 am
Something the eatpoo guide doesn't mention is this (pretty speculative, but seems intuitively right):
Drawing from reference is for improving your accuracy, whereas drawing from imagination is for improving your style.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 05:51:24 am
It's not something I'd generalize on.  Drawing too much from imagination can lead to all your work being self-referential and repetitive.  It can also reinforce bad practices if you're drawing something "wrong" and don't have a reference to check against. 

Of course, everyone finds a balance between life reference and imagination as they progress in art.  The "draw from life!!!!!!!!!!!" rule the Eatpoo guide sets forward is one that is eventually meant to be broken; while the statement may be flawed, functionally it works:  those who follow it will have a strong foundation in realism and nature, which GREATLY reduces the chances that they'll get stuck in an overly stylized trap that will stunt their artistic growth.
typing ewith fdace