Poll

On a scale from 1 to 10 stars, with 10 being the best, how do you rate MS Paint?

AuthorTopic: MS Paint Poll  (Read 60921 times)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: MS Paint Poll

Reply #60 on: November 19, 2006, 10:32:13 am
Virtual screen is how much more useful than a keypress toggle of the UI on and off like photoshop does or whatever?
Much, simply because it does not waste me time finding things by causing things to change position or size (or visibility at all) between fullscreen and normal mode.
And everything is more accessible -- a single tablet movement far surpasses a keypress in speed and ease.

I find ProMo to be very easy to use on the basic level that I do now,
Quite likely. Part of my dislike of its UI is because of its Windows-based widgets, which I find cranky and uncustomizable compared to the GTK+ widgets that GIMP uses (esp. on non-Windows platforms where it is not obligated to maintain compatibility with Windows' bad design decisions.)

How much less do I need than that? 80% of the screen is art. And the mouse pointer rarely leaves that area.
For optimal speed and quality, it seems plain to me that 100% of the screen should be art (you can see in my screenshot, I don't even have that much. 93%) and that any additional windows you need should be accessible in a maximally ergonomic way (In my judgement, sliding around ('scrolling' the virtual screen) is more ergonomic than toggling, mainly because human vision naturally understands scrolling)
I don't know what you need (or even what I need); I just think the scheme I described is markedly more natural and efficient than typical paint program usage (which IMO my previous setup and usage was fairly typical of)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: November 19, 2006, 11:08:29 pm
I may not be a winner, but I'M BAD

Bad enough a dude to use MS Paint and like it.

I voted 8* because... well... even if it sucks compared to other programs, you could do SO much worse. Imagine a program with no zoom function, only one tool with only one brush size, one file format that no other program recognizes, uneditable palette... That'd be a 1* right there. In comparison, Paint is definitely high up. Makes it even better that, no matter where you are, if there's a Windows computer nearby, it's got Paint on it. It's great to be able to whip up stuff if you're sitting at school, or... In the library or whatever. Open up paint, doodle some, put it on Photobucket or whatever and download it at home and finish it. Or whatever. Like. Dude.

Anyway.. um... yes. Paint gets to be an 8. Or at least a 7. The software itself is probably 6 or 7, but it's so accessable, I give it an 8.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #62 on: November 21, 2006, 09:36:13 am
I've completely changed my mind. Paint sucks as do traditional mediums. With a pencil and paper you can't undo or use layers or make level or color adjustments and don't even think about resizing or filters. Doing something with a pencil and paper is just too much work.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #63 on: November 21, 2006, 10:10:43 am
Imagine a program with no zoom function, only one tool with only one brush size, one file format that no other program recognizes, uneditable palette... That'd be a 1* right there.

That's like saying how much better an HB pencil is compared to a pencil that has no led at all
(and OMG that ledless pencil is way better than having nothing, works charms when picking my nose, so I'll give it a 7 :o!!).
Duh.

If such program existed I doubt anyone would consider it for pixel art and thus making your statement rather useless, since it wouldnt be a pixelling directed program anymore.
Maybe as a quick scribbling program if anything.
Though it would be a nice litte add on watches and the like.
But here we are rating how MS paint is compared to other pixel art directed programs, not what could be worse :X

Edit:

Perhaps I will to try to make a ProMotion for Dummies Tutorial at some point :B

« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 12:33:46 pm by Panda »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #64 on: November 21, 2006, 10:33:30 am
Much, simply because it does not waste me time finding things by causing things to change position or size (or visibility at all) between fullscreen and normal mode.
And everything is more accessible -- a single tablet movement far surpasses a keypress in speed and ease.
Quite likely. Part of my dislike of its UI is because of its Windows-based widgets, which I find cranky and uncustomizable compared to the GTK+ widgets that GIMP uses (esp. on non-Windows platforms where it is not obligated to maintain compatibility with Windows' bad design decisions.)
For optimal speed and quality, it seems plain to me that 100% of the screen should be art (you can see in my screenshot, I don't even have that much. 93%) and that any additional windows you need should be accessible in a maximally ergonomic way (In my judgement, sliding around ('scrolling' the virtual screen) is more ergonomic than toggling, mainly because human vision naturally understands scrolling)
I don't know what you need (or even what I need); I just think the scheme I described is markedly more natural and efficient than typical paint program usage (which IMO my previous setup and usage was fairly typical of)

I'm sorry AI I fail to see your point...

As far as I can tell you appear to be advocating your chosen pixel editor purely because you have a hang up on the way that windows operates?

"use linux it's much better..." is what I'm hearing... and I've heard that a thousand times before from a thousand coders who have a beef with MS - but I'm afraid as awesome as Linux may be, it's main problem is that MS-windows (or MacOS for that matter) is a mainstream OS... and Linux... is... well... not...

Admittedly, I appreciate it has it's merits but the fact it's not Windows seriously restricts it from mainstream usage - particularly for the purposes of these boards, forums that are mostly made up of artists that CANT PROGRAM and have NO IDEA about the uber package you're describing...

My point being that you appear to advocating not only a pixel editing package, but also a platform that I can pretty much guarantee 99.9% of the users of this forum know little or indeed care little about... perhaps I'm way off the mark here - but that's how I'm interpreting your posts.

Ok, fairdoos, you prefer it to Promotion and GGale and MSPAINT (which after all was what this was about?!?!) - so by all means use it and enjoy it, but please, keep the pulpit style sermons about how great it is to a minimum - or better yet, start a new thread about it if you feel that passionate about it... Perhaps I'm sounding a bit harsh, and I apologise for that, but I'm genuinely curious about what you're trying to demo here but I don't think this is the thread to do that in.

Cheers
Pete
:)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 11:02:31 am by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #65 on: November 21, 2006, 10:42:40 am
I've completely changed my mind. Paint sucks as do traditional mediums. With a pencil and paper you can't undo or use layers or make level or color adjustments and don't even think about resizing or filters. Doing something with a pencil and paper is just too much work.

I think this argument fails because you're comparing a tool to a medium.  That's like saying physical pencils suck, as does pixel art.  I would liken MS paint to only using one pencil, while a better program would be like using a set of a wide range of pencils.  It's just more convenient because you have more tools available.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: November 21, 2006, 11:21:32 am
Paint sucks as do traditional mediums.

I complete disagree with that statement. As a person who both uses MS Paint AND uses traditional mediums such as pencil and paper to draw, I find that you're overlooking the beautiful art that can be made with both.
Sure, it IS time consuming and requires alot of skill and patience; but breath-taking artwork CAN be produced with such "primitive" tools and materials.

Art knows no bounds. 3000 years ago, people were creating artwork as amazing as the most modern artworks of today.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #67 on: November 21, 2006, 11:34:37 am
I think you two are missing his sarcasm. :0

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #68 on: November 21, 2006, 11:37:13 am
That was sarcasm!? O_O

Don't I feel like a ditz now. >_<

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #69 on: November 21, 2006, 11:47:19 am
I don't think Darien is missing anything though. Valid statement.