AuthorTopic: The Conjurer  (Read 4194 times)

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

The Conjurer

on: November 16, 2006, 07:07:22 am
(got removed as i put it on pixel joint then removed it to replace it with the somewhat minor edits  :'() but pretty much looks the same as the final one except it had jaggered edges and poorer lighting
thats the closests I could get to an edit back.

here is the very first version of it I posted anywhere for reference of how far it has come however. My understanding of how to create a good palette has improved a lot since then.

I had made this piece ages ago and have not done anything to it for so long so I decided to make an update to see how far I have come. I like the skin in particular it seems to look too red for a moment then suddenly perfect after you look at it for a while. I would say that the hood is the area needing most improvement, any suggestions on how to make this piece better would be most appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 07:58:44 am by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: The Conjurer

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 07:40:31 am
Cool piece, I really like the palette.

The piece reminds me of a Baldur's Gate portrait.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 07:59:31 am
-
original - edit

Mainly aa edits, color shifts becoming a bit less strong, using some colors from flesh on cape, some from cape on flesh. More distinction on the face. This is a good piece, but you have to refine it more, I think.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 10:06:21 am
Thanks helm. Here is my edit, I took into account a lot of what i saw in your edit and found it was very helpful particular some of the uses of colour, actually one of my edits of the earlier version i had displayed the depth of the rimming of the cloak but neglected it in this one stupidly thanks for bringing it up in your edit it looks much better.

I think this looks a lot cleaner I was a little hasty to post the one I had because I was a bit too enthusiastic about it and should have cleaned it up more for the cloak so I have done that here.
***edit reduced the redness it is very hard to tell for me whether the palettes level of rgb is slightly off as my eyes have adjusted to the colours. But I kinda prefer a slightly redish one so im using one as my avatar.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 03:21:54 pm by zeid »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 03:50:09 pm
Reminds me strongly of the Emperor from Star Wars. Any reference used? Anyway, nice work.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 05:18:31 pm
Ive received that comment from a number of people actually, the likeness was completely unintentional but I can certainly see the point. I didn't use any discernable reference except for actual peoples faces to get the idea of dimensions (my reflection every now and then etc.) but I did spend a ridiculous amount of time on the original getting the facial anatomy and shading right. This greatly helped with my edits you might notice the original conveys a slightly more blocky look as I spent most of the time on dimensions and not enough on how these dimensions incorporate into the face (hence the rather sharp lighting and corners of features). This blockiness becomes a much more softer look with my edit despite having no references except for thought as I could use those dimensions as a guide.

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 06:55:00 pm
The first greenish one really reminds me of frodo. :-\
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 06:16:07 am
The edit is a magnitude better, and very nice as is.

A couple of minor crits:
  • There is a grey colour that doesn't fit well in the skin gradient. Most obvious at the edge of the shadow on the image-right of the face.
  • The dithered edge on the inside of the hood on the image-left and the largest infold on the image-right look unnaturally sharp. Some reshaping or more sophisticated AA should remedy that.