AuthorTopic: [Feedback] Red Scaled Dragon  (Read 2462 times)

Offline WatCow

• View Profile

[Feedback] Red Scaled Dragon

on: January 16, 2018, 07:51:10 pm
Hello! I'm trying to make a dragon just to get a feel for how scales work, and for a simple game that I am making with some friends. I don't think the way that I approached them exactly fits as it looks more like spots rather than scales, but going any more in detail I feel would make it noisy. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:55:57 pm by WatCow »

Offline TEETH

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/77463.htm
    • candyballad.tumblr.com
    • View Profile
    • My Game Progress Site

Re: [Feedback] Red Scaled Dragon

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:42:51 am
Sometimes when working with small stylized sprites, less is more to avoid noisiness.

I hue shifted the color palette, then used the dark orange from the horns for scales. That way whoever sees it will know it's scales without the noise. You could also make a very small scale with a lightsource AND a shadow and multiply them all over. A good start!

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:27:53 am
Further edited TEETH's edit, to maybe give you some more ideas:
- I found that the bottom part of the dragon was still too low compared to the front part, so I brought it up a bit.
- Changed some highlights on the wings because I thought it looked better, though looking back I guess maybe it was better before haha  :crazy:
- Most of all the sprite lacked volume still, so I tried accentuating the shadows how TEETH had done too.
- Changed the color of the scales to try something different, I like it better with darker scales but it's a matter of personal taste.
Half a noob figuring out stuff.

Offline WatCow

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 02:05:17 am
Thank you both!

I removed a lot of the noise and made the colors more interesting and cohesive, while also trying to make the shadows more well placed. I tried a directional (?) style of scales while also having less of them than my original