Poll

Which choice best matches your opinion on edits and the editing scene?

I'm from an edit community. Editing is necessary for improvement.
I'm from an edit community. I am an unabashed editor!
I'm from an edit community. Editing is fine as long as it's non-profit.
I'm from an edit community. Editing should only be for learning.
I'm from an edit community. Edit so long as the author doesn't object.
I'm from an edit community. I always ask the author before I edit.
I'm from an edit community. I think editing is wrong now.
Great artists imitate each other, so editing is a necessary evolution!
People should be free to edit whatever they want.
Editing is acceptable as long as you do not profit from it.
Editing should be done for learning purposes only.
Only edit someone else's work if they do not object.
Edit only with the permission of the author.
Editing is bad. Working from scratch is the best way to develop!

AuthorTopic: Edits Poll  (Read 9963 times)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: Edits Poll

Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 02:55:47 pm
I don't mind any form of editing as long as it's presented as such and isn't intended for commercial purposes.

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 02:59:29 pm
Having edited a few times, I must say it has helped me improve. However, I wouldn't use them in any game or call them my own. I think it  helps to learn professional pixel techiniques though. I say; "Learning purposes only."
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 05:45:58 pm
This is a difficult question for me...

• I don't think non-profit is a full justification.

• Asking permission is not always possible.

• Editing for educational purposes is not always condoned.

• And editing as long as the author doesn't object can be a hazard depending on its use.

• You can't help but look and learn about other art, so working from scratch is fine, but nobody is an island. Editing can open you up to new ways of doing things. Bad to limit yourself.

• Suggesting it is a necessity almost seems to bypass the moral dilemma, and can be used to justify doing bad things with edits.

So... I think people should be free to edit whatever they want. The problem is that you should also be responsible. Whatever the case, you suffer the consequences of your actions: Authors which do no wrong prove to be just and I would respect them vs copyright law which may evoke interference by a third party that does offend me. Beyond that, Pixelation has rules to be followed...

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 06:03:35 pm
Learning purposes only, I've visited editing comunities just to look for people who have rised above that norm and tell them about this place. I started in an editing one of course, but only because it was the most focused on "full custom" or from scratch work.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 08:56:18 pm
For educational purposes only. To this extent this community provides.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 11:31:41 pm
"People should be free to edit whatever they want."

...just be aware of the possible repercussions if you piss someone off. Feel free to steal and mangle anything you want, just do the smart thing and keep it to yourself if there are legal/moral issues with what you've done.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 06:23:55 pm
I only edit as a means of communication with the original artist; to illustrate a critique, or suggest a new direction for a piece.  I don't even do it that much.
typing ewith fdace

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 08:13:40 pm
Ummm, before I go on I just want to ask one thing: Whats the difference between these two options?
1. Only edit someone else's work if they do not object.
2. Edit only with the permission of the author.
 ???

By any choice, I've never really respected any person who edits other people's works. As in, most people in the fighting game world love to draw over previously made Capcom, and SNK sprites for extremely dull and uninspiring designs, or to the point where they look just plain wierd. Ditto this in with the Sonic edits, and Megaman edits as well. JUST STOPP, PEOPLE!! It's 'oogly. Now with editing anothers piece in a forum, I definitely do believe in. However, I don't think that everytime someone submits something, everyone should hop on it and edit everything to their liking, confusing the artist's original idea by making him decide who's style he must choose to suit the audience. In fact, that irks the hell out of me.
   Call me stubborn, call me stupid, but I just believe that above all, an artist's sharpest sense should come from his/her ears, not their eyes. In other words, listening to response and understanding why and where someone is critiquing certain parts of  a work is vital in understanding your audience, and how to better make your art speak to them. Of course, no real artist should ever forget that just like his/her fingerprint, their artistic style is one in a gazillion(what?...I counted elephants also...Elephants can paint too, ya know...) Despite this, I still believe that it is better to only edit a piece if the original artist who posted the work hasn't gotten it down yet, or if he requests an edit for a better understanding.(yes, yes, hypocrite is my middle name...)
my back hurts...

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 11:51:55 pm
Ummm, before I go on I just want to ask one thing: Whats the difference between these two options?
1. Only edit someone else's work if they do not object.
2. Edit only with the permission of the author.

First one refers to freely editing anything, but respecting the author if they ask you to stop (which would happen later on).

The second one is an ask-first policy. (Doll artists seem to fall into this category as fairly principled..)

Pixelation, at its most liberal is an 'edit freely but respect the author's wishes if they object', and as the poll points out, the majority viewpoint seems to be 'education purposes only', which seems conservative to me, and there's an overall moratorium on using or editing the work of others for profit: You should get permission.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 01:17:59 am
i havent really seen many people ask to edit somones work, nor anyone get angry because someone edited their work.  Its a sort of unwritten law around here that if you post work in progress it probably will get edited.  Perhaps add "if you do not wish your work to be edited, please state so" to the rules.  After all, whats the worst an edit could do.