AuthorTopic: Need some improvement suggestions on my pale pal  (Read 2687 times)

Offline RemboRage

• View Profile

Need some improvement suggestions on my pale pal

on: December 10, 2017, 03:01:10 pm
He is the first more complex pixel character I made since I started. I want to animate him a little bit, but before I start working, I am really interested in what you guys think of him.
Im happy about any suggestions!  :)

Edit: I just realised that the headline is a bit ambiguous. Hope you guys are not afraid of clicking at the thread.  :lol:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:10:13 pm by RemboRage »

Offline RemboRage

• View Profile

Re: Need some improvement suggestions on my pale pal

Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:13:03 pm
Ok when nobody wants to leave some critiques I guess there is nothing to criticize. So I started work anyway.  :P Im not sure if the animation is to rough. Maybe I should put some frames in between to get a more fluently animation. But I dont know if a completely fluent animation fits in to the pixel context. What do you think about that?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 09:49:39 pm
Heh, I like that you can see the details through his shirt. Nice touch.

He kind of looks like a blob. I imagine his whole body would jiggle even if just moving his arm, the effects would ripple through his gelatin  xD

What's going on with his feet?
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline SilverBrick

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 07:50:10 am
You might want to watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqjIdI4bF4

Hopefully it should start you at the beginning of the video.

Anyway, he needs to react to his arm's movement. You can't move a single body part without moving the rest of your body even a little bit. In this case, you're raising his centre of mass slightly, so his weight needs to shift to compensate - especially since his stance is extremely unstable.

A few other things I'd change:

His left arm is perfectly straight. In reality your arms' resting positions are always at least slightly bent. Plus the arm's split into two sections so it shouldn't look completely straight even if it's at its most extended. I also think the shoulder-to-wrist length is a little short. Not that there's much of a wrist to find in the first place.

Hands rest at the side of the body rather than in front, and the thumb usually points forwards while the fingers rest bend behind it.  A good example is here: https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1407/4604646620_d078275296_z.jpg

Considering his weight, I'd recommend shifting his centre of mass downwards, possibly by making him slump a bit. in any case, he definitely needs surer footing. That's why Hulk's legs are always apart.

Offline RemboRage

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 07:44:39 pm
thx for your advices! I fixed the arms and worked a bit on the hands. I also fixed the sucky sock feet.
(I hope both looks better now) ::)
I choosed to not fix his stance because i want his body gesture to look a bit insecure. when im finish the project I will write a little text about him so that u guys understand why.

thx for the video link! it is very helpfull and iam going to try to use some of the techniques for his arm movement. (btw. it started me by the beginning)  :y: