AuthorTopic: Pixel art Characters for Game  (Read 3534 times)

Offline DTE462

• View Profile

Pixel art Characters for Game

on: December 08, 2017, 04:03:28 am
First and 3rd attempt at pixel art. The redhead on the right was my first. I was pretty happy. But she was just an NPC. The man in gray coat is the main character and I was not as happy. My first attempt he somehow looked too young, so in my second attempt I added a beard but I'm still not thrilled. I share the NPC because I'd like to have them match stylistically. But I wouldn't mind hearing a critique of her too.

For what it's worth the main character is and old sea captain of a boat. Dialog will be with higher resolution faces. These sprites are for walking around town. So while I don't need a bunch of detail, I still think there could be more to give this low resolution sprite some character.

Also for what it's worth this is likely the first frame of his idle animation.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:56:41 pm by DTE462 »

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: Pixel art Characters for Game

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 05:15:18 am
First and 3rd attempt at pixel art. The redhead on the right was my first. I was pretty happy. But she was just an NPC. The man in gray coat is the main character and I was not as happy. My first attempt he somehow looked too young, so in my second attempt I added a beard but I'm still not thrilled. I share my the NPC because I'd like to have them match stylistically. But I wouldn't mind hearing a critique of her too.

For what it's worth the main character is and old sea captain of a boat. Dialog will be with higher resolution faces. These sprites are for walking around town. So while I don't need a bunch of detail, I still think there could be more to give this low resolution sprite some character.

Also for what it's worth this is likely the first frame of his idle animation.

Host the image somewhere that has public access. We can't see it.

Offline DTE462

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 06:02:04 am
Thanks for letting me know! It should be fixed.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 01:39:25 pm
the girl looks kinda wonky but her pose is more interesting shows more character, and her colour contrast is better.
consider that for next sprites

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 07:07:55 pm
I feel the old man's colors are too desaturated and washed out, and makes it look like a no body NPC. The way you draw the girl looks more interesting with the colors. Also, a dark color on the edges of your sprites make them stand out more.

Offline DTE462

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:27:02 am

I finished most of the main cast. And updated the lead character. I google image searched "Old Sea Captain" and it turns out it's a very washed out and drab looking occupation to dress for. I am worried his striped shirt will be too much, but either way I'm happier with it than what I had before.

The main one I am unhappy with now is the fellow in the red shirt with his arms crossed. It barely looks like his arms are crossed.

It's also weird how some of the characters look better outlined and some don't.