AuthorTopic: Music when working  (Read 3307 times)

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Music when working

on: December 03, 2017, 04:14:52 pm
Hey guys I have been wondering if any of you use music when working on anything (especially on art)?
Would love to hear what you listen to! :)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Music when working

Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 10:20:33 pm
There are studies that music is distracting.

That being said music stimulates other part of the brain more, then the ones you need for drawing and the question is if you are casually listening to it.
While it's possible to work next to music, just being aware of the fact that it distracts you is good to know.

Generally I don't listen to music whenever I do something which needs my full attention (initial drawing steps, solving core issues like perspective, proportion or lighting, roughing out animations...)

If I listen to music, then in the detailling phase, when an artwork "just takes time", but all big problems were solved before.

Regarding to what you should listen to: Whatever genre you like. Whatever fits your mood.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:45:59 am
I agree with Cyangmou on this. Same goes for listening to podcasts or watching streams or anything like that. You want to stay pretty aware of the different phases of development you're in or you can easily get caught wondering why you can't figure a problem out (you're probably distracted) or why you're bored and you can't stay on task (this is when you bring in the audio)

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:19:51 am
Well I have been wondering because I noticed myself that my productivity drops when I work with music, applies both to programming and pixel art... I usually tap out (sort of a short few second black out) and just stare at the screen as I subconsciously listen to the music  ??? but after years of doing everything whilst listening to music, I find the silence sort of distracting if you can call it so.. So lately I have been experimenting with just some guitar or piano subtle instrumentals in the background  :huh: seems to  distract me way less and fills in that empty void of silence..

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 10:29:31 am
I would generally have a webradio on. Many are "thematic" so that there is a strong continuity in the kind of music they play, it's less distracting.