AuthorTopic: Zeagull help  (Read 7067 times)

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Re: Zeagull help

Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 05:01:56 am
Seriously guys, I know the word 'cel' comes from 'celluloid/cellulose acetate' but it's abbreviation doesn't have two 'L's. ;D

This is looking marvelous so far .I would have it's beak cast a shadow though. I think it had a certain charm without the aa. I would say that cel-shading is to shading what aliasing is to a continuous signal and so leaving the aliasing would synergize both aspects. It doesn't bother me much though, I know it's good to mix & match, and something like this should be entirely at the artists' discretion.

I like the colours, they portray a sunny daylight environment quite well.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 06:27:48 pm
damn, having actually done work on animation cels, i should have been the last one to make that mistake lawrence!

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 08:50:59 pm
Okay, I did a quick shortening of the legs and added shading under the beak w/ and w/o aa.

w/ AA, w/o AA, short legs w/o AA

Thanks for the suggestions, I feel more satisfied with the piece too.  Heh, I remember someone correcting me when I said "cell" a while back, so I should have remembered.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 09:45:15 pm
Have you tried caricaturing  four striped horselegs on the underbelly? That might look cool.

Could you post your references?
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 09:51:39 pm
I'd keep the longer legs, and the AA.
I like the design, but I'm a tad confused by the wing; the segment that looks seperated from the rest of the wing below it. If that makes sense. I don't get it.
I.....am......me............

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 10:21:52 pm
References: http://www.kidsplanet.org/factsheets/graphics/zebra.gif
http://www.jaffray.org/feb2001-seagull/large/43-seagull.jpg

The segment above the wing was originally another part of the seagull on a reference I used, but I couldn't find it on google, which is what I originally searched for seagulls on.  I'm sticking to the longer legs, as well.  The underbelly (as seen in the ref.) has less stripes so I figured I would reduce them in that area.  Also, I don't quite get what you mean Godslayer.