AuthorTopic: [WIP] Isometric Amusement Park  (Read 15867 times)

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: [WIP] Isometric Amusement Park

Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 05:32:48 am
I've found that the very best way to make sure you get replies is to continue to work on it even after you post it. Don't sit back and expect everyone to find all the little flaws. Take a 10 minute breather, flip the image horizontally, and look for problems yourself, then spend a few more hours on it and post an update. It's an acceptable way to bump it and it improves your ability to look at your own work objectively.

Edit: Err, scratch that, don't bump it if it's only been a few hours, that came out wrong, just edit the update into the body and the subject line. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know for me if I can see the original image and the latest revision it really helps me come up with comments. Also, I don't find it at all illogical to occasionally bump your own thread if it's dropping off the page and you still need more help. There's quite a bit of activity here and posts just sometimes get skimmed over and forgotten.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 06:08:06 am by Pawige »

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 05:40:44 am
I've found that the very best way to make sure you get replies is to continue to work on it even after you post it. Don't sit back and expect everyone to find all the little flaws. Take a 10 minute breather, flip the image horizontally, and look for problems yourself, then spend a few more hours on it and post an update. It's an acceptable way to bump it and it improves your ability to look at your own work objectively.
I'd been working on it for over a week and had been constantly updating even after the original post. I shouldn't have to bump my own post to make other people see it. Thats ridiculously illogical.

As for the 'water that is going to flood the park', here's a link to a placement test of the park:

http://thegriddle.net/isocity/jig_park.html

The turquoise is going to be transparent and I anticipate changing the entrance to the parking lot a bit, finishing the roller coaster, adding scenary and stalls for games or food, finishing the carousel, and adding a shipwreck in the top left corner and beachgoers on the top right.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 06:25:50 am
I have to admit i thought there was something a bit funny looking about the top beach but i thought it wouldn't be a problem once
you finished the whole thing. You might not see it becuase you've been wokring on it too long. Some things are only obvious when
you see it fresh. It might be correct isometric, but maybe becuase the water color is different or maybe the way you've placed the
dots on the grass that suggests a slope.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 09:45:54 am
The reason the water seems higer is because the dark sand looks like a shadow rather than wet sand.  I'm not sure what can be done to fix this; maybe making the water slightly transparent (brown tint?) would help.  Good luck!
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline SN33K

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 12:56:41 pm
The reason the water seems higer is because the dark sand looks like a shadow rather than wet sand.  I'm not sure what can be done to fix this; maybe making the water slightly transparent (brown tint?) would help.  Good luck!

I think that sounds about right, it should fix the problem.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 12:58:41 pm by SN33K »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 01:11:07 pm
Learn about graphic styles before you try to critique them.

The sign on the hut is scaled and color reduced.  Learn about pixelart before you try to do some.

Offline dreamisle

• View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 04:44:52 pm
The sign on the hut is scaled and color reduced.  Learn about pixelart before you try to do some.
1) I was commissioned to do the piece and had to use his logo.
2) That's a complete lie. It was scaled, but I haven't color reduced it... yet.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 06:23:09 pm
1) I was commissioned to do the piece and had to use his logo.
2) That's a complete lie. It was scaled, but I haven't color reduced it... yet.

1) Im not sure how many colors are in this piece but theres definitely over 256.  Regardless of whether its a commision or not, you won't benefit from scaling/skewing.  It looks dirty and doing it by hand would look better plus it would give you more self satisfaction to not use cheap tools.

2) LOL complete lie... from what i just read 50% was untrue, thus rendering the use of the word "complete" pointless.  Like i said before, you won't learn anything from color reduction.

Offline dreamisle

• View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 07:21:29 pm
1) Im not sure how many colors are in this piece but theres definitely over 256.  Regardless of whether its a commision or not, you won't benefit from scaling/skewing.  It looks dirty and doing it by hand would look better plus it would give you more self satisfaction to not use cheap tools.

2) LOL complete lie... from what i just read 50% was untrue, thus rendering the use of the word "complete" pointless.  Like i said before, you won't learn anything from color reduction.

1) Okay okay, I'll draw it by hand at the end and show Jay both versions and let him choose.

2) I think we can agree on this agreement: You say it's 50% untrue, I say that it's completely 50% true, so the average of completely and 50% is roughly 75%. Now... what were we talking about again?

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 07:51:26 pm
...what the fetchin' piece of poo-nugget cheese...

Reading that just made me a little dumber.  I wont even try to critique your Math endeavors.

Feron and dreamisle, there is no need for bickering.  About the stretched and colour reduced logo, often times when it comes to contract work, you do what you need to for the job to get done.  Although It may not be perfect pixel etiquette, I can understand the decision.  He's got plenty of true pixel art to look at as well, so i'm not complaining.