AuthorTopic: Eureka  (Read 7499 times)

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Re: Eureka

Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 04:54:59 pm
I hope a woman artist on the boards does an edit, mainly because they know how to draw women better than I can if nothing else.

Somebody called?   ;D

When standing relaxed, most women shift their entire weight to one leg. In this case, that would be her right leg (our left). So, I think that leg should be moved so that it's straight below the body. Frychiko's leg pose looks good too, but not with this upper body. She seems to be leaning to the front too much.

If you have all of your weight on one leg, the hips tilt a LOT, and the shoulders should tilt the other way to match. And when you tilt the shoulders one way, you should tilt the head the other way, otherwise the neck looks detached somehow.

When I looked up the character, I was surprised to see that the blue patches on her shoulder are actually shoulder straps. So, they should be a lot less wide and have some sort of shadow underneath them. I also think you need to give a lot more shape to the dress to show her figure underneath. The sleeves should curve more at the bottom, too.

Lastly, I would try to bring more depth to the hair and eyes, since elaborate hair and overly shiny eyes are a big thing in anime. I take it that you were going for a stern expression rather than pouty, so I would make the mouth more subtle and change the eyebows to look angrier.

Anyway, an edit says more than words, so here's my attempt.

Yours ----> Helm's ----> Mine

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 05:07:07 pm
Thank you.

Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio

Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 04:47:51 pm
Hello again!

@Wayuki: Wow, that's like the best edit ever, your insight and expertise in the ways of woman drawing (not to mention the amazing edit) really explained a lot to me. Thanks a lot for the time you took to comment and edit my piece. This really helped me a lot to understand the way to draw a girls body.

So applying a lot of the pointers given here I updated the piece. I'm going to post the updated version as well as a small .gif containing the old and new versions to compare them easily. The resulting piece looks similar to both worlds: It retains the character and simple lines of the original (to keep the similarity to the anime) and increases the detail in the shading and fixes most of the issues pointed in the critiques.

Any additional comments are of course, welcome. There's always room for improvement, and even if I'm even more satisfied with the art now, I will try to tweak more if needed.

Eureka update:

• Fixed neck lenght.
  • Changed skin tone to a darker shade. As Helm pointed, there was no difference at all between pure white and the pale skin shade.
  • Fixed pose based mainly on Wayuki's edit.
  • Improved shading overall: Hair, skin, dress, boots.
  • Added two colors: Another skin shade to further aa and a darker purple to bring more contrast to the eyes and below the shoulder straps.

Thanks all for the great input! Gotta love pixelation for that, it really helps and encourages you to get better!
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 09:52:12 pm
I really think this has benefitted lots. Congrats and also a nod of respect to you for taking critique, and always being courteous and replying to people that gave you such. I still think the neck is too long (edit out the ring around it and look at it bare and you might agree) but it's up to you in the end. Pose is great, all the other color and aa edits stand fine. Good work, Keops.

Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio

Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 05:44:58 am
I'm going to check the neck further then, maybe you're right. I should try removing the golden ring to check its lenght, maybe it's creating an illusion to me and I don't see it as obviously, but I guess you're right, it still looks a bit long (considering the ring is quite wide). I also spotted some lines that can be improved a bit more upon closer inspection so I'll do another update to the piece, but I think I'll do it tomorrow, I'm a bit tired at the moment. Thanks for the kind words and the critiques Helm (and everyone). After that I'll guess I'll consider this piece finished and I'm open for starting a new one. I'm in a pixelling mood lately so I should just go and make it happen, I feel like I can improve a lot more now that I'm starting to get more motivation.

By the by, I think it's time for me to give more to the community, so I'm going to start to be more active in critiquing and commenting (and editing when possible).

See you all, take care!

~K
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio