AuthorTopic: [C+C] Colour palette & swords  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

[C+C] Colour palette & swords

on: October 12, 2017, 07:56:54 am
I decided to do a little practice around colours. I always seem to struggle with pallettes even after reading through many of the tutorials on them, constantly find my self-wanting to change colours halfway through a project.

I created this palette while attempting to get more 'neutral' shades 

the palette stills lack a range of purple or pinks but I am also worried that there are too many colours.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the colours and their usage so far.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:31:53 pm by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [C+C] Colour palette

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:20:53 pm
It's difficult to judge a palette or tiles without seeing them in use. That goes for you as you create it, too - try working with a mockup. If you know how your colours are going to be used, it's easier to adjust them.

Your tiles don't even use most of the palette, so how can you know if you need those colours or not?

Remember, a palette often doesn't need to cover every single colour. Your project might not have a use for those colours, or it might look more unified to use another colour in place of a rarely-needed colour. This is why it's important to make palettes with some sort of context rather than independently. That will also make it much easier to cut out redundant colours.

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Colour palette

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 06:25:48 pm
Taking your advice into consideration I decided to draw a few variations of swords, decided to pick around 4 shades for each material, in the case of my two different metals I managed to share a couple of colours.

I am still not entirely happy with the wooden sword but it gave me the gist of the colour of the material for the handles of other blades.

I was originally trying to create a colour palette that covered most of the colour wheel ( ie red orange yellow green blue purple and pink., and use that to pick colours from as I worked. on different pieces.

I decided to start by drawing weapons as then I can experiment and see how many different kinds and variations I can create with these limited colours

=============
Edit:
attempted to expand a little bit by adding a copper and brass sword using similar ish shades of oranges and yellows, and I also attempted to add a few more colours to create silver trim on another sword, not too happy with its look colour wise but after 6 different attempts to draw the sword with silver trim I am struggling.

I also refined the wooden sword and gave the iron and steel styled swords an iron guard.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:34:57 pm by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall