AuthorTopic: Trouble with isometric shading  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: Trouble with isometric shading

Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 06:04:51 am
Eishiya, sorry for the late reply, busy holiday around here. This is a mockup which shows some of the difficulties of repeating colors, which, as you mentioned, can be solved by other factor on final tiles, such as detail and textures, since the current tiles are basically only a height map to help visualize forms and proper collisions:

I'll have to redraw most of the actual tiles with proper detail in order to match isometric view (was previously working with 4:3 rectangular tiles only).

Curly, thanks for the reference, I'll look into other games with similar shapes, and I do remember a sonic game with isometric tiles which might have something along these lines

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 02:42:40 pm
There's also a beyblade game for the gba with tiles like that that might help you.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 06:08:16 pm
Oh, thanks, I'll check into pretty much any game with slanted tiles.
Here I am trying to apply the 7 shades logic on the mockup, also reducing the need for outlines as much as possible:

Notice I shifted the brightest tiles from the top on the mockup to the top left slope just like in the template, and tried to mach the diverging of the two color ramps with the brightness of the corresponding faces.

If I were to keep to plain tiles without further detailing I could even use the ds grid to render mini maps or zoom in dynamically by feeding smaller chunks: