AuthorTopic: Miriam - Bloodstained / SotN Scale  (Read 2159 times)

Offline EduardoPras

• If it is damn hard it is probably right
    • Eduardo_pras
    • illpalazzo-sama.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
    • Beta 2 Games Studio

Miriam - Bloodstained / SotN Scale

on: September 21, 2017, 03:36:53 am
Hello everyone.

As probably almost everyone here I love Castlevania SotN and I've been wanting to experiment with the game's pixel character scale for quite some time.
So, I took Bloodstained main character and tried to remake her in pixelart.

Well this time I've used a lot less pixels than I am used to and i got really lost. Seems like many rules fall apart when the scale diminishes.

Anyway here's what I've tried to do:
-This is around 45px tall and I had to push pixels around a lot to try to give it depth
-I did not use AA on anything since SotN sprites seemed to have none.
-Went a little lighter on the dark tones.

It has been a good training but I wanted to push it further.

Anyone know some good tips when working on smaller scales?

Here's Miriam:

And here's my reference frame of Alucard:

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: Miriam - Bloodstained / SotN Scale

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 12:28:43 am
The thing about small scales like these is that details always come last and contrast is KING.

You can just about use any color anywhere depending on its contrast and luminosity, so you can get away with lots of color reuse in a sprite like this.

You only use highlights in places you really *need* to "pop" the form into 3D, such as on the knee of Alucard, and the front knee of your character could use that too -- but the problem with your character is you don't have such a bright-white highlight color in your palette that is capable of "popping" the form like Alucard has on his knee and the rim of his hair near his forehead, and his cape (necklace?) near his chest area. Other than that, this pixel is never used anywhere else.

In general, regarding animation of characters like this (assuming you might want to do that some day) you should animate the silhouette with important breaks in boundaries where logically necessary, such as Alucard's hair, cape, face, forearms, feet/ankles, and the flap over his leg from his armor/shirt.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Re: Miriam - Bloodstained / SotN Scale

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 09:06:37 am
I made a quick edit to illustrate my thoughts:

You should leave out the small details on her skin, at this size it will never read well, not even sure it would read on the 3d model they want to use in bloodstained. I also minimized or removed some details on the clothing to make the sprite read better.

In my opinion the original design for Miriam is sub-optimal.