AuthorTopic: [WIP]Mammoth Ice Boss I'm doing for my MMO  (Read 3781 times)

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

[WIP]Mammoth Ice Boss I'm doing for my MMO

on: November 21, 2006, 06:24:12 pm

been working on it little by little thought i could get some good c+c from this community.

I'd really appriciate it if anyone had some insight on how to shade ice correctly.

btw Hi im new here, ive just been a browser on this forum for a while but i finally decided to join. I come from pixeltendo if any of you know me from there.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 03:01:42 am by DJ gman »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: [WIP]Mammoth Ice Boss I'm doing for my MMO

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 09:21:08 am
hello, welcome to the forum..
as for ice, it is basically a clear substance which reflects and refracts light..
if the boss is stuck in ice, you could make part of his body appear frozen inside.. you can also use highlights to make the ice look shiney, and the denser the piece of ice, the more likely it will be darker.. perhaps that will help some..

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 12:45:46 pm
Yeah it does ,thanks. I was studing the ice level background tiles in sonic advance and now it makes a bit more sense why the chunks are more reflective than the small patches of frost on it.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 01:13:42 pm

This was my small edit and take on how to do it. Probably not correct, but most likely how I'd do it.

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 08:00:46 pm

i tried it your way and idk.....  what do you think?

Offline Pixelfish

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 11:28:13 pm
Interesting style, reminds me of alot of my old stuff. And personally, I don't think all of the ice should be reflective like that. Reminds me of some sort of blue mirror structure. I think some translucent and distortive parts with gentle color reflection and strong white highlights. I also think the shape of the ice might look nice a little more rugged, but still some of that crystalline look you've got going. And I'd like to see some frosty freezer burn, too, think it'd have a nice effect.
As far as the elephant goes, I like the shape, but I think with the shading and some of the lighting you've tried to keep it strict to the lines you have drawn around it, which makes displeasing patterns to the eye. Be more free with your shading shapes, use it to define interior form and texture rather than to reinforce the original lines.
If you need an edit example I can make it happen by tomorrow.

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 02:46:06 am
ok thanks an example wouls help! any help surely would be appriciated. and the blue mirror structure thing you were mentioning i thought to myself the same thing when i first started but i tried it out anyways just to see how it would go.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 01:16:55 am by DJ gman »