AuthorTopic: Zombie head  (Read 2472 times)

Offline had0c

• View Profile

Zombie head

on: September 24, 2017, 09:26:11 am

would not mind some constructive critic on this but did not add it in title since i did not want it to be the focus of it. spent about 2hrs on it 'i am not the fastest :p'

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Zombie head

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 01:31:27 pm
This is the critique section of the forum, so you don't need to add that to the title xP By posting in this section at all, you're implying you want critique.

The head feels very flat. Where is the light source? It seems to be from the front, paparazzi-style, which looks rather boring. Consider having the light higher up or off to the side so you can have some interesting shadows on the neck, nose, and cheeks.

The bones/teeth being white looks both bland and unfitting for a zombie. Why not make the bones a bit yellow? Same with the eyes - why would a corpse have such bright white eyes?

The white bits at the bottom of the neck read like a torn turtleneck collar. I'm guessing you intended it to be the spine? In reality, the spine is nowhere near as thick as the neck. The vertebrae are also not just plain white/yellow doughnuts xP This image is clearly stylised and isn't meant to be realistic, but getting the size right and suggesting some of that more complex vertebra shape should help your idea come across better.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:56:47 pm
I think it's a fun looking image, but I agree with @eishiya on the critique -- it really doesn't read like a "zombie" should. I'd say more of a Frankenstein or "Gorillaz" styled character.

Even so, you should consider avoiding so much symmetry in the face (perhaps a drooped eye or eyelid, or sagging skin on one side of the face?) because the "cuts" across the face just doesn't suggest "decay" to me.

To compound this, the guy looks WAY too happy to be in such bad shape (or "dead" as it were) and if you were going for the crazy-eyed look, then you should give him something that makes him look a little more forboding (i.e. fangs, missing teeth, etc.)

Above all, the image doesn't look bad, it's a fun design, and your pixel technique is pretty decent, but there's just not enough going on, he doesn't strike me as a zombie due to many reasons (the green skin should probably be closer to brown or purple because, right now, I see frankenstein with the squared head to top this guy off), and the symmetry is making that "not enough going on" look much worse unfortunately.

I hope that helps give you some insight on where to go from here, if you're interested.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline had0c

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:04:04 am
doing this for the facial hair challenge on pixeljoint. might grab some ideas from it to the zombie at some point ;)

Offline Sersch

• @moi_rai_
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:19:04 am
Looks good,
the first one reminds me of a mask i have hanging around here :D

Offline had0c

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:06:59 am
that mask gave me nightmares and it's about the most scary shit I've ever seen,