AuthorTopic: I need some help  (Read 19341 times)

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Re: I need some help

Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 04:36:29 pm
I hope you can see how far you have come Joseph!

I have a few minor colouring concerns which distract from the smooth animation.

1. his far hand is probably fine frame wise but needs to be darker giving more depth and becoming less prominant.

2. his near hand does something odd at its most backward extreme - it looks like it stretches out.  it just a shading tweak i think.

3. his near leg contrast alters to erratically, particularly the foot at its most backward extreme - it gets too light.

4. his far arm or his back ? - when his near arm is in its most forward extreme it is unclear whether the shape behind it is his arm or back. it should really be his back and arm and needs more of a division between the two.

5. finally something about his near shoulder isn't right - this I'm not sure on but try removing the outline between it and the chest when his near arm is at the forward extreme... but you might have to fiddle a while with that one.

EDIT: maybe his whole arm doesnt move forward enough - making the shoulder joint look odd

Don't let these nit picks get you down though. Thats the beginnings of a solid, professional animation loop.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:08:14 pm by willfaulds »

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 04:50:24 pm
I see all of your points will.  the near hand when its furthest back...I missed a pixel and kind of extends it a bit.
the shoulder, I hadnt noticed until you pointed that out, thanks, I will fix it.
im unsure about the far arm when its behind him though, any ideas on how to fix it?
ill see if darkening or even dithering the leg helps any.

heres a wip on the shooting...its my first try on something like this as well.  I know its pretty bad.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 05:00:47 pm
It kinda looks like he is waving a knife...the gun needs to be bigger and maybe put both of his hands on it.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 05:18:07 pm
I'll edit this post to crit the shot animation properly when i get a chance but wanted to post this before i forget - take a look at Flashback the game and try and get some sprites now Ive seen your colouring style it might be good reference.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 10:29:49 pm
sorry but I searched for flashback screenshots (which were all jpg) and sprites, and nothing.  if you know where some may be, mind posting the link or even the images themselves?

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 10:53:28 pm
alright im finished with this walking animation:

sick of edit after edit...now to work on the shooting animation.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 11:34:08 pm
hehe.  I think i might have remembered this with rose tinted glasses.

http://www.emugifs.emuita.it/flashback.htm

They might be of some help but I don't think they'll be the help I thought they would be (I'd totally forgot Flashback was vector based!)

Well here's another reference for you but this one i can't find any sprite sheets for - the gun anI'mation in it isn't great (im thinking snes version) but he sure knows how to be cool - Blackthorne

http://www.emulationstation.com/ (this might work some time soon - currently unable to view sprites or at least i am)

My main crit would be is he the same height? And don't just move the head the rest of his body needs to feel the shock

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 12:39:06 am
Flashback isn't vector-based in-game. These are rotoscoped. The shooting animation in that page is badly captured and a few of them all miss frames. You can't go wrong with studying Flashback, I don't see what rose tints are going for it.

The walking animation has grown to become excellent, no crits from me.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 01:11:52 am
The walk looks nice, I don't have anything to add there. The shooting animation has potential, but needs some fixing. Here's what I'd do: cut frames 2 and 4 and skip the "one pixel head-movement to the left" in frame 3 (it's okay, but could be distracting in the long run, since it looks like he's being startled by the gunshot).

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #29 on: November 17, 2006, 01:22:43 am

junkboy's crit in action. And why he rules.