AuthorTopic: How and where to start with making an Overworld Map? (Tilesets and such ^.^)  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Shizuko

• hi There! ^^
    • View Profile
    • My Piskel Galery lol ^^
hihi

I want to make a Overworld Map

something like this:

https://youtu.be/mfGyRsJV_8A

and because Tilesets:

https://youtu.be/8o16EmvSyNg

Because I dont have Photoshop in the Moment
(get it from the Schoolin couple of weeks i think)
and want to make it with www.piskelapp.com or
an other (free) program I dont know how I start
with making a World Map.

This is a good Idea too here:

https://youtu.be/tzstGHNN48w

But can you call this Pixel Art when its only done with a *Brush*?
So hope you can help me, im a reeeallly beginner in Pixel Art so dont have
much Experience. I dont have any Ideas I could make Pixel Art with XD >.<
Im so in shame in the Moment,
why Im so bad in English now?
Where is my good English? meh

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website
"Brush" means different things in different programs. In Photoshop, the Brush tool is anti-aliased, so you don't want to use it for Pixel Art. However, the Pencil tool gives you access to all the same tools as the Brush tool, but retains the aliased edge. In some programs, "Brush" is just the name used for their equivalent of the pencil tool, in some others it means yet other things.

Piskel seems meant more for drawing sprites than tilesets, and I do not see any features for testing tiles or arranging tiles into mockups for testing. I recommend going with another app if you want to do tilesets specifically. I think just about every desktop pixel program has a tile mode these days, though I haven't used them all. I know GrafX2 is a free one that has nice tile support, maybe check that out. Its UI is quite different to Photoshop though, so if you're used to that, you'll have a big learning experience ahead of you.

Photoshop doesn't have tiling tools (automatic updating of all tiles in a mockup, painting with tiles, etc), so it's not that great for doing tilesets. I do my tiles in PS only out of lazy stubbornness xP

Offline Shizuko

• hi There! ^^
    • View Profile
"Brush" means different things in different programs. In Photoshop, the Brush tool is anti-aliased, so you don't want to use it for Pixel Art. However, the Pencil tool gives you access to all the same tools as the Brush tool, but retains the aliased edge. In some programs, "Brush" is just the name used for their equivalent of the pencil tool, in some others it means yet other things.

Thanks for you Comment, helps me a lot ^^
In GIMP you can manipulate the Pencil and Such so that there are no 50 % transparent Blocks or such.
I have to learn Photoshop because of my School, and I think im going to buy Asesprite on some Day
But GrafX2 sounds good - or is there any other better program? nah - depends on the Tastes of the Person I think.
So Im going to experiment with GrafX2.

Now there is only one Problem,

How I make Tiles? XD

You know I want to make something like a Overworld-Map ^.^

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website
"How do I make tiles" is a very broad question. Do you mean how do you set up your programs to work with tiles? How do you place pixels onto a tile? How do you make sure the tiles tile seamlessly?

Offline Shizuko

• hi There! ^^
    • View Profile
"How do I make tiles" is a very broad question. Do you mean how do you set up your programs to work with tiles? How do you place pixels onto a tile? How do you make sure the tiles tile seamlessly?

Sorry, it was really broad,
I dont know nothing about Tiles, so
everything XD >.<

GraphicGale and GrafX2 have a really bad looking GUI (Interface)
I dont know if I can work with this. Because I cant imagine how I want my Tiles is this also a Problem ^.^
So I have to know about everything about Tiles and how I create them.

Im very bad in my English im so sorry, i was even better a couple of Months, that is a shame :c

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile
About tools : Everyone has his favorite, but the differences are minimal. I can additionally propose Pixothello, which should be one of the simplest ones.
About inspiration : See what games do. It's very easy to find screenshots of good games. At the moment I'm not sure if you mean an overworld map as in Super Mario "world map", or classic map of RPG like Zelda or Final Fantasy 6.

Offline Shizuko

• hi There! ^^
    • View Profile
About tools : Everyone has his favorite, but the differences are minimal. I can additionally propose Pixothello, which should be one of the simplest ones.
About inspiration : See what games do. It's very easy to find screenshots of good games. At the moment I'm not sure if you mean an overworld map as in Super Mario "world map", or classic map of RPG like Zelda or Final Fantasy 6.

Thanks!

And i think I want to do both, Super Mario and like Zelda lol ^^