AuthorTopic: not another mockup; work in progress  (Read 10151 times)

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Re: not another mockup; work in progress

Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 12:02:17 am
you used my most of my pallette from WF bg tiling thingie, and I think you adapted some of the problems i had with it. It's a tad boring, epsc. for a mockup, not colorfull enough and not enough contrast, spice it up a tad! Also, i think you could ad a bit more depth to the far bg, and generally just add some design elements on the platforms/ near house. As for the sprites, the harsh shading of the hero's (i persume?) chest suggests boobs, and there's some colorwasting going on on his pants (dunno if you care but since this is an gba mockup'n all). Fool's edit on the thug is sexy, tho i don't for the face on neither versions, it just doesn't look like a bad guy.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 12:33:18 am
A pretty kickass mockup dude! I'm liking the buildings - in particular the brick shading.
While I agree that some games use floating platforms, in this case it makes it look weird in my opinion. You could always try something like this to explain the platforms:

I think this would help fill in some of that empty space that takes away from the depth of this mockup. I'd like to see a bit more variation in colours as vedsten mentioned as well as some varied platform styles. Not all rooftops are the same.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 12:36:01 am
you used my most of my pallette from WF bg tiling thingie, and I think you adapted some of the problems i had with it.

Sorry, i had forgot who created it.  I have 1000's of pictures saved to my hardrive and often borrow plattes from them.  Its a damn nice palette.  I only borrwed about 6 colors for the bricks though.  Thanks for the critique.

Blink:  Never thought of doing it like that!  The one floor in you edit is that all the platforms were on the same plane - but now the floating ones are behing the character - disabling him from jumping onto them without going further backwards.  Its a neat idea and i will probably throw all the physics out of the window and create something similar.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 12:41:32 am by Feron »

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 03:22:39 am
Keep wondering why is that screwing up someone's work much more fun then fix my own? :ouch:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 02:07:46 am
found this on my hardrive - couldnt let those damn good edits go to waste.

new enemy + another level coming soon...

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 02:16:16 am
The buildings remind me a lot of Vedsten's tile challenge entries from that contest a while back.

I don't see why you need so many colors along the edge of the dark roof tiles, seems a bit wasteful to me. And I'm guessing the heart in the sky is just for fun, no real reason for being there. Looks good so far.

EDIT: I guess that explains it then.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 02:19:18 am by Blick »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 02:18:14 am
The buildings remind me a lot of Vedsten's tile challenge entries from that contest a while back.

read up.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 01:03:07 am

small additions/edits.

not the main purpose of this post though.  i really need suggestions as to enemies.  the original didnt really look 'enemy' enough.  i really need a bit of inspiration - and the right enemy will make this look complete.

also after critique on what i have so far...

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #18 on: December 25, 2006, 01:17:58 am
not the main purpose of this post though.  i really need suggestions as to enemies.  the original didnt really look 'enemy' enough.  i really need a bit of inspiration - and the right enemy will make this look complete.

FLAMING NINJAS. What did i tell you!?

Looks good so far man. Some parts of the white outline of the jar are cut though, because you darkened bits, this will only really work if you go over the edge one more pixel (or you could do it inside). Should be alright cus the backgrounds look fairly dark.

I don't like the detail you've given the dude on his shirt/vest thing. I would get rid of that and add another highlight colour for his pecks and abdomen, seeing as his arm stands out so much with it's own highlight colour.

Keep it up, tis great.

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 25, 2006, 01:19:27 am
but seriously.. is that only the picture and u make it into game later?..
God forgive him for his sins I know its was his last minute, You spread his wings so he can only fly.. He will allways be a legend in our hearts and legends never die..

R.I.P Tose Proeski ~Senad