AuthorTopic: [CC]Forest Platformer game  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Bubu

• bubuisanolifer.tumblr.com
    • View Profile
    • Instagram portfolio

[CC]Forest Platformer game

on: July 25, 2017, 03:19:23 pm
Hi!
So about a month ago I started getting into the wonders of pixel art. i must say Im a very impatient person and I get frustrated easily but making pixel art is so rewarding!
I recently finished a mockup for my platformer game practice. Its just the first unpolished version and Ive already found some issues like: The ground level is unnecessarily high, the leaves in the animation need to have more frames and be slower and probably some differently colored line to distinguish the ground line and background grass and trees?
Anyway I welcome any feedback, tip or idea!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:32:34 pm by Bubu »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Platformer game mockup

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 03:41:38 pm
Agreed about the leaves, they're distractingly fast.

I don't think you need a line for the walkable surface, the grass isn't particularly misleading. Having the floor this way adds some depth to the image. I'd even consider having the platforms set up that way too, so that the feet are never perfectly aligned with the upper edge.

Consider making the coins spin. That's a much more noticeable animation than a little shine, since it changes their silhouette.

It looks like you didn't really consider tiles while making your mockup. I recommend keeping the tile grid visible even that early on and aligning things like platforms to it, it saves a lot of time later on when you're making tiles.

Offline Bubu

• View Profile
    • Instagram portfolio

Re: Platformer game mockup

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:22:21 pm
Agreed about the leaves, they're distractingly fast.

I don't think you need a line for the walkable surface, the grass isn't particularly misleading. Having the floor this way adds some depth to the image. I'd even consider having the platforms set up that way too, so that the feet are never perfectly aligned with the upper edge.

Consider making the coins spin. That's a much more noticeable animation than a little shine, since it changes their silhouette.

It looks like you didn't really consider tiles while making your mockup. I recommend keeping the tile grid visible even that early on and aligning things like platforms to it, it saves a lot of time later on when you're making tiles.

Thank you for the feedback! I will change the leaves and I will make the cois spin, it will definitelly be more efective. And you're totally right I kind of didnt take tilesets into consideration when making this piece. I thought it would be just a rough sketch but it kind of turned into whole background practice. I will start making tileset soon :)

Offline Bubu

• View Profile
    • Instagram portfolio

Re: [CC] WIP Platformer game mockup

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:03:17 am
So I've changed the dirt and grass into a tile set and made some changes :) (The example is just a still picture without the animations)  Also reanimated the coin! I like it much more now.

Offline Bubu

• View Profile
    • Instagram portfolio

Re: [CC] WIP Platformer game mockup

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 12:21:07 pm
Bump!

Offline Lobo Bobo

• View Profile

Re: [CC]Forest Platformer game

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 02:09:33 pm
Hi!
So about a month ago I started getting into the wonders of pixel art. i must say Im a very impatient person and I get frustrated easily but making pixel art is so rewarding!
I recently finished a mockup for my platformer game practice. Its just the first unpolished version and Ive already found some issues like: The ground level is unnecessarily high, the leaves in the animation need to have more frames and be slower and probably some differently colored line to distinguish the ground line and background grass and trees?
Anyway I welcome any feedback, tip or idea!

Wow I loved that!  ;D It looks real bright and beautiful and I also love the racoon...
I'm also new to pixel art but I will try to give you some feedback...

I think the platform in front of the tree blends in too much. It takes you a while to really see it apart from the tree even if there is this grass over the platform...

Maybe the BG is too bright so it pops a lot? I don't really know, I might be wrong.

In fact, the background itself calls a lot of attention, even much more than the character...

Offline Bubu

• View Profile
    • Instagram portfolio

Re: [CC]Forest Platformer game

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:16:54 am

Wow I loved that!  ;D It looks real bright and beautiful and I also love the racoon...
I'm also new to pixel art but I will try to give you some feedback...

I think the platform in front of the tree blends in too much. It takes you a while to really see it apart from the tree even if there is this grass over the platform...

Maybe the BG is too bright so it pops a lot? I don't really know, I might be wrong.

In fact, the background itself calls a lot of attention, even much more than the character...

Thank you! I tried to make it happy and bright. I used the Soft Milk palette from MortMort, that helped a lot!
I will do some adjustments for the background to make it pop less :)
Also, here's the walk cycle!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:18:42 am by Bubu »