AuthorTopic: Pixels and your health  (Read 7509 times)

Offline DrNoodles

• View Profile

Pixels and your health

on: November 02, 2006, 01:45:16 am
So ... I recently got back into pixelling but I noticed that my abusive computer abuse has created some problems for me. I started to notice that my right hand/arm gets 'tired' after a while to the point where it starts hurting at times. I do have an A5 intuos table but for some reason I can't use it fluently for everything. Anyway, my question is: How do you make your pixelart? + If you recognize the symptoms or have it yourself, how do you deal with it?

I recently got one of those powerballs to strenghten the muscles in hand and arm but I'm curious if there are more options out there.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Pixels and your health

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:54:48 am
hah, i think the only possible damage to your arm/hand from pixeling is carpel tunnel. what you need to worry about is your eyes.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:19:46 am
Not really. If your really paranoid, just remember, 20 minutes, 20 seconds, 20 feet away. Every 20 minutes, look at something for 20 seconds that is 20 feet away. But even neglecting that, your eyes will not get damaged unless... I don't know, you strap your cornea to a strobelight animation for a couple years.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:16:39 am
I tend to move the mouse with my fingers....and I always rest my wrist, at the begginging I did have trouble but I think I have adapted to do it harmlessly.

what worries me is my eyes an my column. make sure you get good chairs people!

my eyes...they have definitively taken damage =/. I gotta admit I liked it at first, because...that "I cant really see it clearly" aspect of pixeling is much of what I like to it.....that contrasted to how clear it looks up close is what really drives me nuts about pixeling.

use UV glasses people...and make sure you dont work on low-res pics in hi-res...you'll strain your eyes and screw em up like I did.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 06:35:11 am
Tablet for everything. It takes time to adjust from mouse, but at this point using the mouse even to browse around in Windows Explorer or model in 3D feels weird. My posture is horrible. Eyes are always red. I'll go to a chiroprator once I can afford one. I'll start wearing glasses when my eyes start to fail me. Oh and I jump roap every day.

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 10:32:04 am
owyea, the red eyes, I have them too, and my mouse-hand always feels very cold :hehe:. And I also got the arm problem, but I don't really pay attention to it, because well, most of my joints hurts of sitting in an almost (twisted)45 degrees position! :-\

I've a tablet which I can't use because I don't really have space for it, although I can use it on my lap, but that's kinda awkward

(And I got some mental problems because of this computer)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:33:41 am by KilledBySuicide »
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 09:41:42 pm
I've been gazing longingly into a computer screen since I was like, 5.. Nothing has ever affected me..

I'll probibly get real messed up when I'm older.  :D

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 10:29:01 am
While it's not exactly a health problem, after 8+ hrs of straight pixelling I turn grumpy  :mean:.
And well, at times red eyes, muscle pain from sitting for a long time, but normally it doesn't really happen to me (except the first thing).
I pixel with light (I can't stand staring at a screen in the dark. For movies it's alright, but for pixelling it kills my eyes.) and mouse/tablet depending of how I feel like.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 12:11:54 pm by Panda »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 07:23:19 am
Sometimes I go for like halves of hours without blinking (or maybe it's dozens of minutes [or just two or three]), from 12:00 noon to 1:00 am, and when I finally try to go to sleep my eyes burn when they close but are too heavy to keep open. I don't know if my eyes are red or not 'cause I never look in the mirror.
Sometimes I blink properly and am only on from four to eleven, but then my eyes get sore and tense and I have to overfocus. Just to see normal. It's amazing I don't need glasses.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 08:04:43 pm
My eyes are still perfect (maximum score at medical tests) even after many years of hardcore computer utilisation...but my column is messed up...some kind of 3d sinus trajectory on the radios :( .