AuthorTopic: [WIP] Equipment Screen  (Read 4646 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [WIP] Equipment Screen

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 01:46:17 pm
The bookmarks are hard to "read", the characters blend into them. Use colours closer to the paper colour, perhaps? Maybe one of the slightly darker paper colours, and have just a strip of each character's identity colour on each, instead of overlapping them.

I agree that the magnifying glass was a bit much, and it's not even needed now that the information is on the same page and changes based on the player's actions.

With the page corners, see how the dark edge is curved? That's only possible if the paper isn't flat (i.e. the corner makes a little "cup" because the paper is super-warped). If the paper is flat, that edge would just be straight.
Take a piece of paper and curve its corner up and you'll see it's straight. In addition, the little triangle that's lifted up would look smaller than the space it used to fill, due to foreshortening. Something like this, but with more of your lovely texture:

The straight line of the corner's edge doesn't have to be 45 degrees, but the triangle's shape will change according to the angle.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 03:09:20 pm
Ok so:

I redid the book marks (shape and color strips). Not sure if the color strips provide enough information to refer to each individual characters however.

Redid the page corners (bottom and top). I also added the skill icon (a skull with a bolt on top) and a list of skills.

Any other ideas? As you can see, I take feedback seriously.

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 04:01:43 pm
I meant having the heads and the colour strips. The problem was just that the heads faded into the coloured backgrounds. I suggested the strips as a way to keep the colours without having them all over the bookmark and behind the heads.

Those page corners look more realistic!

The skull doesn't read well to me. I also tend to associate skulls with status effects or character deaths. I don't really know what to suggest though. Maybe a hand with some magic blob above? A fist? A "skill" is something a character does, and hands are usually how people do things.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 06:58:18 pm
I meant having the heads and the colour strips. The problem was just that the heads faded into the coloured backgrounds. I suggested the strips as a way to keep the colours without having them all over the bookmark and behind the heads.

Ok, I'll fix that, shouldn't be too hard.

Regarding the skill icon, please look at the bottom right, I did 7 different versions:

I prefer number 7 but it's still too big. It should be about the size of the backpack icon so the whole icon thing remains consistent.

An edit  ;D would help at this point to fix that skill icon so I can move on with fixing the book marks as mentioned above. Or some pointers as to how I can improve said icon. Unless you guys think one of the other icons look better?

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 08:59:35 pm

Rough edit of what I meant with the character bookmarks. You can probably fancy this idea up.

With the skill icon, I think 5 and 7 are the best. Maybe if you rotate 7 90 degrees so it's horizontal, it'll feel compact like the backpack, even though it's larger? The energy bits will look more part of the border then.

I think it might fit the book theme better to have these border elements (inventory backpack, skill icon) be ink-coloured, and leave colours to gameplay-important things like items, skill and stat icons, and character portraits.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 01:07:31 am
A'right!

So I checked the size of the backpack (13x14) while the lightning bolt hand is/was 10x23. So I shifted it horizontally and used the line of both sides to sort of conceal that it's a fair bit bigger than the backpack. The hand is still too cartoonish to my liking but it'll do for now. It reminds me of Superhero League of Hoboken.

Anyhow, I felt like just adding faces to the bookmarks felt sort cutting corners so I decided to use symbols before. Maybe it's overkill now to have both the color strip and the logo on each bookmark, not sure.

Here's the new version:

I think the upper left is still too empty and I'd probably need more room at the bottom of the book to add a spot to give skill descriptions (I don't have any right now).

I'll also get rid of the older bookmarks at the bottom since I have both  skills and equipment on the same page so to speak. I'll add another bookmark on the side for options though.

Comments (everyone is welcome by the way, not just eishiya even if his comments are very helpful).

EDIT:

Current version.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:56:23 pm by Zizka »